• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Learning about coins
1 1

5 posts in this topic

On 12/28/2023 at 5:29 AM, Steveopera43 said:

Found a buffalo coin in my change container,and it's warn down can't really read the date but looks like 1930 can it be worth anything?

If you can provide clear cropped images of both sides of the coin members may be able to make a better determination of what you have, there are a few varieties that can be identified without a date if I remember correctly. If attempts at identification using die markers fails there are ways to try and make the date visible again but the coin will be considered damaged afterwards. 

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

"Buffalo" nickels were minted from 1913 to 1938.  The dates were placed on a high area of the design and frequently wore off. Yours does appear to be dated 1930, a common date, is worn down to About Good condition (a low grade) and is worth perhaps fifty cents retail in that condition. As the date is legible, I advise against using date restoring chemicals, which would burn the coin.

FYI, here is what a Buffalo nickel looks like in uncirculated condition, this one a 1936 graded MS 65 by PCGS:

1936nickelobv..thumb.jpg.7b8202d11082fff3acf7015e91ccd64c.jpg

1936nickelrev..thumb.jpg.bda7f2838bb7e7681889305c26242aa8.jpg

Please see the following forum topics for print and online resources that will help you to learn about U.S. coins:

It's cool to find, but not worth a bunch of money. With sharp photos we will probably be able to suss out the date, which is very likely 1935-37. Mint would be under the hill the bison stands on, and I don't see any. Dealer would probably have it in a Buff junk tray for 20c. Simply put, they are very common in this condition and thus supply massively outguns demand.