• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Counterfeit Detection Seminar at January 2024 FUN Convention

5 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2023 at 4:14 PM, BillJones said:

I am scheduled to give a counterfeit detection seminar at the 2024 FUN show. It will be at 11:45 AM on Thursday, January 4.The emphasis will be on how to spot counterfeit coins in counterfeit slabs on-line. There will be handout so that you can use my tips on your computer, cell phone and iPad at home and at the shows.  I hope to meet you there!  

Should be fantastic, wish I was going. :(

Any chance it will be recorded and available for viewing at a later date ?

On 12/27/2023 at 4:28 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Should be fantastic, wish I was going. :(

Any chance it will be recorded and available for viewing at a later date ?

I'll see what I can do with on-line media. It's been an education for me with the cell phone and iPad. I know a lot more about coins than I do about using devices. I have gotten the PCGS chip to work on my cell phone. 

Here is the handout I gave at the end of the presentation. Here are the important points:

• Go to the certification verification pages at PCGS and NGC.
  • Enter the serial number on the slab. 
  • If the response comes back "invalid serial number," there is probably a problem. There is an outside chance that the slab label has a mechanical error, but that is very unusual. 
  • If you get a response PCGS and NGC verification responses will have pictures of the coin or the slab for newer slabs.
  • If there are no pictures, PCGS might have one or more citations where the item has been sold in a major auction. The auction site will have pictures.
  • If the item in the slab does not match the picture, it is probably a counterfeit.
  • If you get no pictures or auction responses, you can got to PCGS Coin Facts to compare the item with pictures of genuine coins. This is not as good as getting a pictures of the actual coin in the slab.
  • Jack D. Young has posted many pictures of counterfeits with tips on how to spot them under his name in the “CoinWeek” site. You may got there to sharper your eye for spotting counterfeits.

Counterfeit Handout_0001.jpg

Counterfeit Handout_0002.jpg