• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1981 D QUARTER DOLLAR
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Hello Dear
numismatist, I have a collection of 1981 D quarter dollars, the reverse of which is quite unique, where the letters AMERICA, "A" touch the wings of a bird. What do you think, thank you all?

20231227_170327341.jpg

20231227_170307572.jpg

On 12/27/2023 at 6:03 AM, Abdulah said:

Hello Dear numismatist, I have a collection of 1981 D quarter dollars, the reverse of which is quite unique, where the letters AMERICA, "A" touch the wings of a bird. What do you think, thank you all?

Possibly a die chip, hard to tell in those photos though. 

On 12/27/2023 at 6:10 PM, Greenstang said:

You didn’t finish your question, not sure what you are asking.   
It just looks like an ordinary quarter worth 25 cents.

I mean is this coin unique? and maybe it could be worth it??

On 12/27/2023 at 6:16 AM, Abdulah said:

I mean is this coin unique? and maybe it could be worth it??

Something being unique does not necessarily add any value, certainly in this case it does not. No, having this coin certified would not be worth it if that's what you are asking.

I would only value this piece at 25¢.

Please explain where you think normal is?
If I judge quarter dollars, it generally says AMERICA "The last letter A doesn't come into contact with the bird's wings, so where does that normally go?"

Regarding that final A in AMERICA, any such contact constitutes harassment and if the bird depicted is a bald eagle, this is actionable under Federal law punishable by both a possible fine, a term of imprisonment -- and embarrassment.  :makepoint:  :roflmao:  :facepalm:

Die chips are extremely common, which is why coins with them are being posted here regularly. They are regarded as quality control issues rather than mint errors and are not worth a premium to knowledgeable collectors.  They are not attributed by grading services. See Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com). ("NGC does not recognize as mint error coins those with minor die chips, breaks and rotations, etc., that fall within our interpretation of mint tolerance. ")

There was once a fad of collecting certain Lincoln cents with die chips between the "B" and "E" of "LIBERTY" that resembled the letter "I", but they are very common and no longer considered to be of much value and are not attributed. I posted a topic about them a while ago.