• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How to tell if this is genuine?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I have this listed on ebay, but don't want to be dishonest as I have seen replicas. To me, it feels/looks real and weighs 3.07 grams and the replicas seem to be around 1 ounce (28 grams). Is there an indicator that someone might know of?

TIBERIUS AR Denarius Silver "Tribute Penny" Roman Coin 14-37 AD - 3.07g

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l960.jpg

On 12/22/2023 at 10:17 PM, Heather67 said:

I have this listed on ebay, but don't want to be dishonest as I have seen replicas. To me, it feels/looks real and weighs 3.07 grams and the replicas seem to be around 1 ounce (28 grams). Is there an indicator that someone might know of?

TIBERIUS AR Denarius Silver "Tribute Penny" Roman Coin 14-37 AD - 3.07g

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l960.jpg

You answer lies within the description: "Tribute Penny."  That expression is understood to mean an authorized counterfeit the marked disparity in weight of which signals this is a faithful reproduction.

Basically any Denarius of Tiberius is often called a "tribute penny", this comes from a story in the bible.  So there are genuine "tribute pennies", but because of the bible reference fake ones are often sold as souvenirs.  I'm no expert on these, but yours has all the earmarks of a cast fake.  I'm sure others will be along with more info.

Edited by l.cutler