• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1894 Morgan Dollar on eBay

6 posts in this topic

Apparently eBay is now using AI to ignore fraudulent listings. This “1894 Morgan Silver $1 Dollar US Coin” is listed for $29.99 or best offer, “More than 10 available” and free shipping from China.

I saw this on ebay and reported it (twice) as being in violation of Federal law. This is the response I received:

A decision was made on the listing you reported

Hello 
Thanks again for reporting the listing(s) you found. 

What happened:
We looked into your report and didn’t find the listing to be in violation of our policy. This determination was made using automation or artificial intelligence. 

IMG_2726.jpeg

IMG_2727.jpeg

Uneven dentils around the rim often give these pieces away. The really great first photos of this thing show that the dentils are not the same all the way around on both sides. 

It also has a layer of what I call "shoe polish toning" on both sides. It's not a definitive marker for a fake, but you often see it. It's funny, but a piece of the "shoe polish" got into Ms. Liberty's eye. She looks like she's rolling her eye in shame for being including on this thing. 

FWIW:  I purchased what can be best described as an oversized hobo nickel from a seller which the eBay indicated would be shipped to me from China. The reverse was depicted as being that of a Morgan dollar which resembled the one posted above by the OP.  Interestingly, there was an OBO option which allowed me to purchase it for 60% of the listed price.  My 50% off offer was not rejected outright. Instead, my offer prompted a reply that I would have a better chance of acquiring the item if I made a more realistic offer.

The item was due within 30 days.  I was not in any rush to receive it, but when I did I saw another side to this whole Chinese coin manufacturing process. The item I received absolutely, positively, did not ship from China. There were no Chinese characters anywhere on the package.  Instead, the exterior bore a return address from Kentucky. All the documentation you would normally expect to receive in an international shipment was missing. In fact, I do not recall receiving any paperwork at all.

I have a feeling that parties in the United States, acting in concert with their wholesale partners in China, is another more sinister aspect of the proliferation of Chinese goods to the U.S. that I have never heard mentioned.

I have found that more attention is paid to those who were actually defrauded then those who report an item.  I truly do not believe that these platforms have the time, resources [and inclination] to pursue properly conducted investigations, hence the boilerplate replies.