• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Routine US Mint letters

1 post in this topic

I was asked on another site about what was "routine" correspondence for mint directors and officers. Here are a couple of letters to the Philadelphia Mint superintendent as typical examples. These get reviewed during research but only a few are copied where they relate to dies, production and problems, or specific numismatic subjects.

[RG104 E-235 Vol 70. page 69]

November 27, 1893.

Superintendent Mint U. S.,

Philadelphia, Penna.

Sir:

I have this day requested the Secretary of the Treasury to cause a transfer to be made from the Bullion Fund of your Mint to the Treasury of the United States the sum of $329,699.89, the same being the balance in treasury notes standing to your credit with the Assistant Treasurer of the United States at New York, which are no longer required to pay for silver purchases.

I have also requested that a transfer be made from your Bullion Fund to the Treasury of the sum of $127,159.18, this being the balance of treasury notes now in your custody.

Respectfully yours,

R. E. Preston,

Director of the Mint.

---

November 27, 1893.

O. C. Bosbyshell, Esqr.,

Supt. Mint U. S.,

Philadelphia, Pa.

Sir:

I have this day requested the Secretary of the Treasury to cause to be advanced you the sum of $10,000 from the appropriation for contingent expenses of your Mint to meet the unusual expenditure for transportation of gold bullion from New York, and for the purchase of copper for alloy purposes. The advance will be made special for these reasons.

Respectfully yours,

R. E. Preston,

Director.

Edited by RWB