• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is the Maumee Valley Collection in any way connected to the Thomas Noe coin scam in Ohio
1 1

5 posts in this topic

I usually don't purchase cleaned/chopmarked coins. Unfortunately, I was enticed to bid and won this 1874 Trade Dollar due to the pedigree. My research suggest the pedigree is some how connected with what the press labeled as Coingate in 2005, but I cannot connect the dots between the Noe companies and/or another party that created the pedigree. It's not about the value, it's about uncovering the truth of this pedigree.  Would anyone have any thoughts or may direct me to any sources which will either corroborate the connection to the Noe coins or identify the source of the pedigree.  Thanks 

Image.jpeg

Image 1.jpeg

Edited by Walter Holmes

I recently won a coin with this designation.  I used the name on the holder to arrive at, if I remember right, what was a Wickapedia post.  there I also found a few articles about these coins.  To the best of my knowledge the designation was added by the individual given the task of selling the coins for the court.  I personally do not think it adds any numismatic value.  Hope this helps.  James

Coingate 2005 was a rare coin investment scandal and that 1874-S Trade Dollar is not rare, and in fact is one of the more common ones.  If you want to torture yourself you could request court documents related to the case that may have lists of coins involved to see if it might be listed.