• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Auction Juice

18 posts in this topic

I know when selling, most auctions companies will give you part of the juice (Buyer's fee).

How about when buying. Do any of the auction companies reduce the juice (i.e. if the juice is 15% would they only charge a good buyer 10%)?

I know when selling, most auctions companies will give you part of the juice (Buyer's fee).

How about when buying. Do any of the auction companies reduce the juice (i.e. if the juice is 15% would they only charge a good buyer 10%)?

You really must stop drinking, Greg.

wink.gif

Hoot

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

TRUTH

TRUTH

TRUTH

jom

On two separate occasions (two different auction firms), I have tried to negotiate a lowered buyer's premium to no avail. However, one auction firm did agree to throw in certain freebies if I attained a certain level of successful bids, which I did. Overall, it seems the buyer's premium is pretty well set in stone.

On the subject, I think the 15% is pretty excessive. I remember when 10% was the industry standard, and can even remember when a few smaller auctioneers were still at 5%.

But I guess the 15% is necessary these days to pay for the excessive advertising and overhead that certain firms seem to enjoy.... frustrated.gif

James

What did I do? 893whatthe.gif

Anyway, I suppose it is possible a "good buyer" could get a break but would that be fair to the other participants in the auction? I wouldn't think that might not be lawful...is it? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Now giving a discount to the seller it another matter....

jom

Damn, I didn't know I was specifying a start time. sorry.giftonofbricks.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifscrewy.gifjuggle.gifpopcorn.gifforeheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifinsane.gif

Nice going.... screwy.gif

jom

What Should Be Our Official Forum Motto™?

Users may choose only one (6 total votes)

Hoot Must Die™

0 0%

TruthTeller Must Die™

0 0%

Jom Must Die™

0 0%

Hoot, TruthTeller, & Jom ALL Must Die™

6 100%

Looks unanimous 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

smile.gif

Your poll is as faulty as you mind. acclaim.gif

No argument. yeahok.gif

Damn, I didn't know I was specifying a start time. sorry.giftonofbricks.gifChristo_pull_hair.gifscrewy.gifjuggle.gifpopcorn.gifforeheadslap.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifinsane.gif

Nice going.... screwy.gif

jom

acclaim.gif

gmarguli

First, a reduction of the buyer's fee is tantamount to a discount. Not sure why an auction house would ever give a bidder a discount... Maybe Hoot is correct - Greg's been sipping on too much fermented juice.

Second, what exactly is death? Some view death as a transcendance to another plane of existance. Or, are we speaking in absolutes where death means being stricken from all historical reference in every plane of existance?

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

confused-smiley-013.gif

EVP

First, a reduction of the buyer's fee is tantamount to a discount. Not sure why an auction house would ever give a bidder a discount... Maybe Hoot is correct - Greg's been sipping on too much fermented juice.

Because it would encourage some bidders to buy more. It would be useful to encourage heavy bidders.

Second, what exactly is death? Some view death as a transcendance to another plane of existance. Or, are we speaking in absolutes where death means being stricken from all historical reference in every plane of existance?

In the case of Hoot, it's a dark, very hot place and a pitch fork up his