• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 Philadelphia weight 2.49 grams
1 1

6 posts in this topic

Where did you "learn" this cent might be valuable?

It's nothing but a slightly under weight cent of no special importance, interest or value. So you want to spend $50+ to have beat up pocket change put in a plastic holder?

On 12/2/2023 at 5:06 PM, Preston Lee said:

I found this 1973 penny weight is 2.49 grams ... Should I send it in to get graded and certified?

1973 in not a transitional year where you might find an off-metal or wrong planchet error that might be indicated by a weight difference.  So it's not clear to me why you were weighing this cent or might think it could be valuable enough to be worth submitting.

Edited by EagleRJO

Your 1973 Lincoln cent was probably struck on a planchet (blank) cut from thin stock, which would account for both its lower than usual weight and its weak strike. It would be worth little or no premium, and it would not be worth spending $37 in grading ($19) and error attribution ($18) fees alone to see if NGC would even attribute it as an error. This assumes that you have submission privileges (minimum $95 per year) and does not include the $10 per order processing fee and minimum $28 per order return shipping fee.

Never hold a coin you think may have collector value in your bare hands! This is true for all coins but particularly so for copper alloy coins. Skin oils are what cause copper coins with mint color like yours to turn brown and can also cause them to spot and eventually corrode.