• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Orleans Mint coins struck for the Confederacy

2 posts in this topic

You've probably seen this before, but here is one of the earlier communications about coins struck at the New Orleans Mint from stolen bullion in 1861.

Oct. 4, 1880.

Sir,

I have received your letter of the 2nd instant enclosing a letter from Buffalo, relative to the striking of coins at the New Orleans Mint after that institution had passed into the hands of the Confederacy.

The report of the Director of the Mint for 1861 states that “since the 31st day of January 1861 no deposit has been received from this branch.” Consequently the statistics of coinage at that Mint embraced nothing subsequent to that date.

The Coiner’s books however show some twenty-four deliveries of coin to the Superintendent from February 13th to May 30th comprising $264,820 in double eagles and $1,101,316.50 in half dollars.

I have replied to the letter enclosed in your communication.

Very respectfully,

Horatio C. Burchard

Director

A. Loudon Snowden Esq.,

Supt. Mint at

Philadelphia.

Edited by RWB

On 11/28/2023 at 1:33 PM, RWB said:

Oct. 4, 1880.

Sir,

I have received your letter of the 2nd instant enclosing a letter from Buffalo, relative to the striking of coins at the New Orleans Mint after that institution had passed into the hands of the Confederacy.....

Member Buffalo Head -- exquisite photography skills, notwithstanding -- has a lot of explaining to do on behalf of his ancestors.   🤣