• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1805 Mexican 8 reales
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

My fourth edition of the nineteenth century volume of the Standard Catalog of World Coins (2004) indicates that the "FM" assayers' initials do not appear on colonial Mexican coins dated after 1802.  The NGC World Coin Price Guide lists two varieties for the 1805 Mexico 8 reales, both with "TH" assayers' initials.  World Coin Price Guide and Values | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Therefore, your coin is likely counterfeit. Photos would still help.

I'm not an expert on this series and am hoping that a member who may be more familiar with Spanish colonial coins, such as @World Colonial, might be able to offer a more learned opinion. However, your coin doesn't appear to match either of the date styles on the 1805 varieties listed in the World Coin Price Guide, which I am unable to access this evening. The raised rim on the reverse suggests that the coin was struck in a close collar, which is also inconsistent with the photos I've seen of genuine examples of this type, which appear to be "open collar" strikes.  Other characteristics, such as the color, look odd as well. Everything so far points toward the coin being counterfeit.

It's a counterfeit. 

I'm not very familiar with these other than I've seen this question asked several times. If I remember correctly the consensus was that these are either bullion pieces produced at a later date and used for trade or it's a counterfeit of a counterfeit produced in China. Also, again if I'm remembering this correctly, the assayers initials, FM, used with the wrong date was done on purpose as a way to identify these? If I have time I'll try to find a more definitive answer.

The coin is a counterfeit. Design elements and legend punches and spacing is wrong. Weighing "27 grams on the nose" is an interesting tidbit. Do you know how to perform specific gravity testing? What is the diameter and thickness? Given that your obverse and reverse picture quality is not great, i think it's too much to ask for edge photos all the way around?

On 11/30/2023 at 5:10 PM, RSM9292 said:

But now I can see the edges are all screwed up. 

Da Vinci code.  Lemme run it thru my Enigma... it reads "the coin may look irregular, but it's not. Trust me."

So there you have it!  :makepoint: