• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do I really want a registry set?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

B| I am new and did not understand what a registry is. Are there anyother benefits other than what's stated here to saving coins to a registry? I was thinking someone may see it and want to purchase it. If my previous statement is not true on seeing and purchasing, can I remove my coins as I donot plan to build a registry set. I would just be taking up storage space.

The NGC Registry is an online platform that enables you to display and describe your NGC certified U.S. and World coins and your PCGS certified U.S. coins in sets and compete for points and rank in the competitive set classifications. The very top participants, not only in rank but in the quality of their photos and comments and the percentage of NGC certified coins in their sets, may receive monetary awards from NGC in the form of grading credits. You can also keep your sets private if you wish and use your entries as an inventory of your collection or create "custom sets" that are noncompetitive but allow you to organize and display your coins in accordance with your own criteria.  You can get more information from the registry home page: NGC Registry | Online Coin Registry Set Collecting | NGC (ngccoin.com) 

I participate mainly in order to share photos of and information about my coins with other collectors without the security and other concerns inherent in transporting and exhibiting the actual coins.  For an idea of what you can do with this platform, take a look at the 1792-1964 U.S. Type Set that I created with coins from my collection. Set Details | NGC Registry | NGC (ngccoin.com)

The NGC Registry (and the somewhat similar PCGS Registry, which only allows PCGS certified coins) are generally not marketing forums through which one sells coins. Some owners of the highest-ranking registry sets have been known to consign the coins in their sets to major numismatic auction houses, who promote the coins as having been from such top sets, but the vast majority of participants cannot assemble sets of such distinction.  If you have previously added coins to a coin list ("My Competitive Coins") and want to delete them, you may do so by clicking the "Delete" icon at the right side of each entry.

Edited by Sandon

if you wish and use your entries as an inventory of your collection

I participate mainly in order to share photos of and information about my coins with other collectors without the security and other concerns inherent in transporting and exhibiting the actual coins.

Those reasons are a benefit I can live with. Showing them off without needing to take the actual coin, I like very much. The inventory Idea I like also.

Thanks a lot.