• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

thomas j dollar doubling of letters above head and the nostrilsand liberty looks like she has a nose ring
1 1

22 posts in this topic

when i use GIMP image editor and blow up to 400 percent i see some sort of double die the s  i am not arguing with you at all i know less than nothing and again look at liberty's chin its massive here is some bigger pics and again people thank for help

CCI11252023_0006.jpg

CCI11252023_0007.jpg

On 11/25/2023 at 5:10 PM, jimbean802 said:

doubling of letters above head ... .. i see some sort of double die the s

There might be some shadows or minor step/shelf like worthless machine doubling (strike or deterioration) of the letters above Jefferson's head, which would not be hub doubling or a "doubled die".  See the attached to help you distinguish the two with the coin in-hand.

On 11/25/2023 at 6:41 PM, jimbean802 said:

... liberty looks like she has a nose ring ... look at liberty's chin its massive

Looks like just a rub mark on the nose and the chin looks normal ... https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2007-p-1-thomas-jefferson-position/148056

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

Worth $1, there is no discernable true doubling, although I do see some minor, ultra common, and worthless strike doubling.   Do you know the difference between real true hub doubling and the worthless strike or machine doubling?   If not I suggest that you study up.

I recommend that you look at this coin through an optical magnifier or loupe from different angles rather than through a computer image that may be distorted. I see only shadows and reflections in the areas you mention, not actual doubling of any kind. (It would be extremely unusual for both the obverse and reverse of a coin to be struck from doubled dies.) You should also compare it to other Thomas Jefferson presidential dollars to check for any actual difference from the normal design. The only readily collectible variant (technically, a mint error) of these coins are those with plain edges. See Collecting Missing Edge Lettering Presidential Dollars | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Since about 1996 the mint has employed a "single squeeze" method of die making that has nearly eliminated all but minor doubled dies. (Thomas Jefferson dollars were minted in 2007; the date and mintmark are normally on the edge.) Most doubling on coins even before that time was strike doubling (a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling) from dies that were loose in the press or die deterioration doubling from worn dies, neither of which is of value to collectors.  See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com).

FYI, here is what a major doubled die coin looks like, the 1972 doubled die obverse Lincoln cent listed in the "Redbook". Note the crisp, clear doubling on all of the letters and numbers, with each image of about equal depth and the "notching" referred to in @EagleRJO's diagram. The reverse is normal.

1972DDcentobv..thumb.jpg.7086e8d879c9d146e7f433a8831dea72.jpg

1972DDcentrev..thumb.jpg.6efec1c9e85d62d898b90b13a5c44d19.jpg

sorry guy's i am bad about stuff once it gets in my mind i cant shake it need some more beating down just joking (still nothing ???) the coin looks natural when not magnified i have no other way to magnify

Untitled.jpg

On 11/26/2023 at 9:14 AM, jimbean802 said:

sorry guy's i am bad about stuff once it gets in my mind i cant shake it need some more beating down just joking (still nothing ???) the coin looks natural when not magnified i have no other way to magnify

Untitled.jpg

Stop doing high magnification imaging. It’s not helpful … at all!

There is no more. You've been given facts. The truth...that's all there is.

:)

Edited by RWB

On 11/25/2023 at 5:41 PM, jimbean802 said:

when i use GIMP image editor and blow up to 400 percent

I think you need to stop right there. Stop doing this. You are going down the rabbit hole. No TPG or expert attributor would do this to ascertain a variety.

On 11/26/2023 at 10:14 AM, jimbean802 said:

sorry guy's i am bad about stuff once it gets in my mind i cant shake it need some more beating down just joking (still nothing ???)

Just magnifying what you previously posted doesn't change that there is nothing there.

On 11/26/2023 at 10:54 AM, jimbean802 said:

asking, any suggestion ... just trying to find out more, newbie here

Put away the scope as it's just leading you down rabbit holes as PowerMad noted, and start over from scratch.  Get a Red Book, ANA grading standards, and 10x loupe or glass so you can first learn more about coins and examine a coin while you turn it in your hand to see what other are able to identify from experience.

[This may seem odd coming from the likes of me, but I feel we are not being particularly welcoming to a newcomer with both the tone and terms we use.  Bear in mind, for some, simply jumping into a thread is a courageous act and if newcomers are bum-rushed by ambush, it will create a chilling effect. That person will not feel encouraged to return. We need to ramp up optimism and tamp down on pejorative terminology like "worthless," where a simple "no added value" will do. After all, we're all friends here. And some are newer to the hobby than others. More honey, less vinegar. IMHO]

"With few exceptions, NGC will not attribute die varieties that require greater than 5x magnification to be clearly recognizable." What is a Variety? | NGC (ngccoin.com). Similarly, the Cherrypickers Guide to Rare Die Varieties includes a "helpful hint" that a variety requiring more than 7x magnification to discern is unlikely to be popular among collectors. I am something of a contrarian and usually use a 10x loupe to examine coins and occasionally use 15x but have never found any greater magnification to be desirable for any purpose.

On 11/26/2023 at 9:05 PM, Henri Charriere said:

[This may seem odd coming from the likes of me, but I feel we are not being particularly welcoming to a newcomer with both the tone and terms we use.  Bear in mind, for some, simply jumping into a thread is a courageous act and if newcomers are bum-rushed by ambush, it will create a chilling effect. That person will not feel encouraged to return. We need to ramp up optimism and tamp down on pejorative terminology like "worthless," where a simple "no added value" will do. After all, we're all friends here. And some are newer to the hobby than others. More honey, less vinegar. IMHO]

I think you may awake Kurt with this particular post. xD

While I understand your perspective completely, I also side with the fact that learning sometimes involves hard lessons learned. If all that is ever done is to "candy coat" responses and give out "participation trophies" for those that post, I don't think that serves to educate properly.

As an example, it is bad enough where we have some OP's that post things with emphatic leading statements such as "I have a 1982 D small date Lincoln bronze transitional cent" when it clearly is a 1982 D large date. And I have seen some of these threads when the OP is instructed that the coin is a large date, the retort is that "I know what I have." If we were to do anything less than explain in no uncertain terms that the OP does not have a super rare "unicorn", we risk encouraging and misleading a population of newcomers to false hopes.

I do try to avoid terms such as "worthless" and "total garbage" as much as possible, but on occasion some of the parking lot finds that come across here certainly do qualify for those terms.

On 11/26/2023 at 10:05 PM, Henri Charriere said:

We need to ramp up optimism and tamp down on pejorative terminology like "worthless," where a simple "no added value" will do

While I understand your point, I think newer collectors are better advised with a completely honest and straight forward answer, compared to some wishy-washy reply delivered with kid gloves.  I also think we should be using terms that are very direct, will not mislead newer collectors and are commonly encountered on well known websites about this topic such as the following ...

Wexler's Die Varieties: Worthless Doubling

And it appears in this case, as well as some other newbie topics, that not being more direct initially may have led the op to continue down a rabbit hole resulting in additional confusion.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 11/26/2023 at 9:05 PM, Henri Charriere said:

We need to ramp up optimism and tamp down on pejorative terminology like "worthless," where a simple "no added value" will do. After all, we're all friends here. And some are newer to the hobby than others. More honey, less vinegar. IMHO]

HC is correct in that certain younger demographics have been taught, by our generation's errors of commission or omission, to EXPECT positivity and optimism, more honey and less vinegar. Well I had a formal education in the United States too, in the City of Reading, Pennsylvania for K-12, and Lancaster, Pennsylvania for my B.A. and believe me, we had no such expectations! We weren't allowed to have such expectations. We had to earn WITH HARD KNOCKS every bit of positivity we got, even from our parents. I heard more "you [bleep]ing dope" than you can imagine. School AND HOME had all the charm of Parris Island boot camp. What did it do to me? It made me the first in my lineage to graduate from college, IN THE NORMAL FOUR YEARS, after being a National Merit Scholar in high school, the LARGEST and one of the MOST VIOLENT high schools in Pennsylvania. My college graduating class was 1/4 the size of my high school graduating class, 50 years ago. Will I participate in this new "ya hafta be nice to people" zeitgeist? No sirs and madams, I shall not. Put on your big boy pants and LEARN. Today is CDN/Whitman's Cyber Monday sale. 30% off plus free shipping. Go. Buy. Read. LEARN.

BTW, CDN/Whitman is an Alabama company. Say 'hey" if you drop by.

Edited by VKurtB