• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1862 Indian head die error
1 1

5 posts in this topic

This is a fairly advanced die break.  If the die continued in use much past this point, the area within the break would fall out, resulting in a blank raised area known as a "cud".  Die breaks are fairly common and generally not worth much, if any, premium.

You should not hold a collectible coin in your bare hands except, if you must, by its edges.  The oils in your skin can react with the coin metal, causing discoloration and even corrosion over time. 

It appears to be a die break, but I do not see that listed in the NGC varieties.

I do not see a DDR that is listed in the NGC varieties for 1862.

An 1862 in XF condition seems to have a market value of about $80, with AUs' increasing $20 per grade.

I agree with the analysis by @Sandon in part. That is from the beginning of the die advancing to a catastrophic failure. It is possible that no one might find a cent with the full cud if coins were struck after the die finally broke apart and that part of the die fell out. It is possible the mint employee heard something and stopped the press to change that die out before it had a complete failure.  While most die breaks do not command any premium, this one is more interesting than the minor thin raised line circling the rim.

I have a request to the OP. Could you possibly provide a close up photo properly cropped to show the area in question? I am not sure if I see a raised portion of the rim and I would like to see a better closeup to be able to ascertain whether or not this could be a retained die break. A retained die break is when a portion of the die breaks off and is imparted into the coin during the strike which is different from just the metal flow into the die crack during the strike.

I also request that when you handle the coin that you do not touch it except for by its edges. Coins can lose premium due to fingerprints.

Also to the OP, please disregard the post made by dprince 1138. Varieties have NOTHING to do with the situation on your coin. 

This person tries to paint them self as a coin "expert" but is consistently inaccurate in posts all over this forum. 

Edited by powermad5000
I wish Admin or Mod would take care of this problem