• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

DD or MD
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I know I should show offers and reverse of the coin but it doesn't really matter unless it's a double die.

I'm looking at the split serifs at the end of the letter U on the N and I....

It doesn't seem to be too clean like machine doubling. I'm not sure I need some help. If it is a double die I will pictures of the rest of the coin.

Thank you

IMG_20231119_142048.jpg

IMG_20231119_142021.jpg

We really do need to see photos of each side of the coin to assess it. Additionally, your magnified screen shots are too blurry to see well. From what I can see, the secondary image appears to be very shallow, and I don't see any "notching" that would be associated with a doubled die. It's most likely strike doubling, a.k.a. machine or mechanical doubling and of no collector value. See Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Have you checked listings for known doubled dies of this date and mint of cent on doubleddie.com and/or varietyvista.com to see if your coin could be one of these known varieties?

To the OP, please ignore the comment by dprince1138. Varieties have nothing to do with the coin in question. I see a step like appearance to the "doubling" so I would say this coin has die deterioration doubling sometimes also called die erosion doubling.