• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 D Penny that weighs 2.7 grams…. Can anyone explain or give some insight on what I have.
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Neither. What you have is hot garbage. It is a badly damaged coin, probably messed up in a parking lot. Any experimentation in play would have been some kid saying: "Just how badly could I screw this coin up if I really put my mind to it and got into my dad's tools" It barely holds a value of one cent. The odds of this being a mint error are roughly equal to my odds of being named the next Dalai Lama. My best guidance to you is to spend it so that you no longer have to see such carnage.

This question seems to have been asked before on 1/19/23.

"...there is no recorded 1975 d penny on record with a weight of 2.7 grams, as you know the weight should be 3.11 plus or minus .13.
If that is actually the correct weight, then you would need to send it in to a numismatic company for authentication and grading.  There would be no way at this point to value such a coin."

https://www.justanswer.com/antiques/l2wpd-1975-penny-weighs-2-grams-can-t-find.html

There is one answer indicating a possible wrong planchet.

"Notes: There are a few errors to be aware of. One of the oddest is the 1975 D struck on Dime cent. Somehow a dime planchet (blank) made its way into the cent minting area and was struck by a penny die. Selling for a few hundred dollars in MS65 condition. There are some off center strikes, and double strikes to be aware of. A few die breaks are known to exist as well.
The mint was still using copper as the primary ingredient in Lincoln Cents, and would continue to do so for another 6 years."

https://cointrackers.com/coins/13676/1975-d-lincoln-penny/

On 11/19/2023 at 2:10 AM, JKK said:

The odds of this being a mint error are roughly equal to my odds of being named the next Dalai Lama

Who knows, maybe the monastic disciples misread the religious signs and visions with you being the actual reincarnated prior Dalai Lama, which is only discovered when you have a spiritually enlightening epiphany, become a Buddhist, immigrate to Tibet, join the Yellow Hats, and ..........

Okay, it's zero. (:

On 11/19/2023 at 1:49 AM, Edwardram said:

Is it a legit error coin or just experimental coin? 

I am sorry about the inaccurate and misleading reply received from dprince that may suggest your coin is anything other than a badly damaged regular cent.  Please completely disregard that post, and hopefully @Administrator will eventually do something about his posts.

There is absolutely no way that coin is a "wrong planchet" error from possibly being struck on a dime blank since it's the wrong color and size, as well as weighing too much for that error.  It also in not any other type of transitional error.

There is also no way that's the "experimental" strike cent from around that period which was the previous year and on an aluminum planchet, or that it should be submitted to a grading company for "authentication".  Even if that was an accurate weight of an undamaged coin, indicating a blank possibly punched from a slightly thinner part of a coil, there would be no significant added value to collectors with just a waste of your money.

You have what is referred to as a "parking lot coin" which has been repeatedly run over scraping off some of the soft copper.  Attached is one of my parking lot finds in my "Good, Bad and Ugly" short set that weighs about the same as your coin.  Trust me, it will never be submitted for "authentication".

593825984_ParkingLotSet01Pennys-GoodBadUgly.jpg.b54192728de03d0cea1446b0c5e6da6d-1.jpg

593825984_ParkingLotSet01Pennys-GoodBadUgly.jpg.b54192728de03d0cea1446b0c5e6da6d.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Reported.

To the OP, please entirely disregard the response from dprince1138. This individual could not be more wrong.

Your badly damaged cent is missing some of the original metal as well as the surface being trashed which caused the coin to lose weight. Nothing more.

As stated, this is simply a coin that has been mutilated after it left the mint. The loss in weight is obviously due to the metal that was gouged out of the coin. (It couldn't have been struck on a dime planchet based on its color, its size and, not least the fact that the official weight of a dime planchet is 2.27 grams, not 2.7 grams!)