• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 Reverse Proof Peace and Morgan Dollar Set Voin Flaw
1 1

2 posts in this topic

On the obverse of the Peace Dollar there is a noticeable flaw lower right neck and in the hair. Under 10x mag the scruffs on neck are actually matte finish. The line in hair is more like a liquid spill. Any thoughts as to the cause? Pressure pushed matte material onto profile? Poor planchette preparation during annealing process, improper cleaning or rinsing? This one has me scratching my head! 

IMG_2043.jpeg

IMG_2045.jpeg

Edited by Walter Holmes
Add description

I bet the most likely cause of the flaws is that they are manufacturing defects (maybe it is about dust or debris in the dies, improper polishing of the dies, or uneven distribution of the planchet material).

Of course, I suppose the flaws are due to die wear. Over time, the dies used to strike coins can become worn, which can cause imperfections in the coins.
And lastly, I don't exclude the post-minting damage. Yup, it is less likely, but still possible, that the flaws are due to post-minting damage (the coin being scratched, or clipped).