• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whitman Baltimore show

23 posts in this topic

There's little point in going if Coinbuf won't be there. 🤣 Seriously, if I got word from someone -- anyone, suggesting they heard an unconfirmed rumor I'd be able to find a 1910 or 1913 or 1914 French 20-franc gold rooster graded MS-67 there, I would leave my wife to fend for herself, and be out of New York City on the first thing smoking. :roflmao: Unfortunately, Baltimore, or so I have been led to believe, is USA all the way. Chanukah gelt, anyone?  :)

Have election duty Mon-Wed, but unlikely there will be anything at the Baltimore show of interest in my specialty.

On 11/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, VKurtB said:

Yup, I’ll be there Friday on my way back to Alabama from Harrisburg, PA. 

If I make it, unknown at this point, I’ll keep my eyes open for you. Should be a decent show. 

On 11/4/2023 at 10:38 PM, RWB said:

Have election duty Mon-Wed, but unlikely there will be anything at the Baltimore show of interest in my specialty.

Keep those voters straight, no voting twice - this ain’t Chicago.

On 11/5/2023 at 5:29 AM, Zebo said:

If I make it, unknown at this point, I’ll keep my eyes open for you. Should be a decent show. 

BaltWhits usually are, unless you want to count on the later days. Get there early. I'll be wearing a big red t-shirt with "READING, PENNSYLVANIA" in black lettering, if the weather is warm. If it's chilly, I'll be in a white zippered sweatshirt with the Penn State lion head logo in dark blue on the shoulder.

On 11/4/2023 at 2:23 PM, VKurtB said:

Yup, I’ll be there Friday on my way back to Alabama from Harrisburg, PA. 

Ended up missing the show. How was it?

On 11/12/2023 at 11:40 AM, Zebo said:

I did not go but have been following the post ats and reports from dealers like Gerry Fortin, perhaps you have been also.   It sounded like the wholesale was good and retail on Thurs was strong, but Fri and Sat were extremely weak retail days.   A few collectors commented that they were able to find some things, but there have been several comments about low collector turnout.   I cannot recall a single comment on younger collectors at the show which seems very different from other recent show reports.

Considering the retail disaster the IMEX show was coupled with a seemingly smallish collector showing at this show I am wondering if we are seeing a trend developing or just a couple of one-off situations.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 11/12/2023 at 12:40 PM, Zebo said:

It’s hard for me to compare the Whitman to past years I was there. Before, I always went on Saturday, because I was working. This time I went on Friday. There was “okay” foot traffic, I guess, but not huge. It was frankly Nashville-ish. Both of my sisters warned that Baltimore is less safe these days. I didn’t see that, but I chose to stay Thursday night up in Timonium, just in case. My favorite parking facility, just across the street from the Federal Courthouse on Lombard Street, was quite empty, probably due to the Friday “observed” Veteran’s Day holiday. I got to the show 9:30ish and departed about 3:00 PM. I then drove until I got sleepy and stayed over in Bristol, Tennessee. It was drizzly/rainy the whole day in Baltimore, which probably kept the “folks bent on mayhem (if any)” indoors. It may have held down the foot traffic, too. By the time I was heading west out of Washington on I-66, the sundown was gorgeous. I was taking a risk moving my firearms through Maryland, DC, and Virginia, but I got from PA to TN (states with sane gun laws) with no issues. I found seven pieces for the sets I’m working on (British shillings, Vatican stuff, and even a “first page of the Dansco album” BU Washington quarter (‘37-S)). Oddly, Allen Berman had none of my needs. That’s noteworthy as a big exception. 

I did run into a bunch of my ol’ buddies from the Red Rose Coin Club of Lancaster, PA. Aside: the very last of my personal property items are now in Alabama. The only thing I own in PA is some woodland. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/12/2023 at 3:16 PM, Coinbuf said:

I did not go but have been following the post ats and reports from dealers like Gerry Fortin, perhaps you have been also.   It sounded like the wholesale was good and retail on Thurs was strong, but Fri and Sat were extremely weak retail days.   A few collectors commented that they were able to find some things, but there have been several comments about low collector turnout.   I cannot recall a single comment on younger collectors at the show which seems very different from other recent show reports.

Considering the retail disaster the IMEX show was coupled with a seemingly smallish collector showing at this show I am wondering if we are seeing a trend developing or just a couple of one-off situations.

...i believe there is a trend as u mention...the nashville show by design n the geographical location n lax law enforcement/increased crime daytime n nightime has impacted attendance at baltimore...it is of concern because as vkurt has mentioned in-person coin collecting is a vital part of the hobby...time will tell, the big shows r still strong but expenses n long travel puts them out of reach of many collectors....

On 11/12/2023 at 6:33 PM, zadok said:

...i believe there is a trend as u mention...the nashville show by design n the geographical location n lax law enforcement/increased crime daytime n nightime has impacted attendance at baltimore...it is of concern because as vkurt has mentioned in-person coin collecting is a vital part of the hobby...time will tell, the big shows r still strong but expenses n long travel puts them out of reach of many collectors....

I really wonder if people have their priorities straight if they can't travel a little but spend on collectible coins. If I were THAT broke, I would probably never buy coins. But that's me. Your mileage may vary, but I can't figure why.

On 11/12/2023 at 9:34 PM, VKurtB said:

I really wonder if people have their priorities straight if they can't travel a little but spend on collectible coins. If I were THAT broke, I would probably never buy coins. But that's me. Your mileage may vary, but I can't figure why.

...its all relative, "travel a little bit" means diff things to each of us, some financially some distances involved...the remaining major shows r basically on the east coast, west coast n deep south causing long distance travel for 50% of the country if not more...the recurring ANA at rosemont provides some travel relief but also some hesitation due to proximity to chicago, the central states show basically the same...the revolving ANA gives some potential relief to portions of the country but the locations r limited to those few "numismatic friendly" cities still left...im curious as to a comparison of the recent pittsburgh ANA with the previous rosemont ANA attendance wise, im sure it was reported but also equally sure u prob know the data as well...lets face it, the numismatic hobby is becoming less collector oriented n more commercial year after year n the collector base for the most part is aging year after year...tick tock, tick tock....

On 11/13/2023 at 8:09 AM, zadok said:

...its all relative, "travel a little bit" means diff things to each of us, some financially some distances involved...the remaining major shows r basically on the east coast, west coast n deep south causing long distance travel for 50% of the country if not more...the recurring ANA at rosemont provides some travel relief but also some hesitation due to proximity to chicago, the central states show basically the same...the revolving ANA gives some potential relief to portions of the country but the locations r limited to those few "numismatic friendly" cities still left...im curious as to a comparison of the recent pittsburgh ANA with the previous rosemont ANA attendance wise, im sure it was reported but also equally sure u prob know the data as well...lets face it, the numismatic hobby is becoming less collector oriented n more commercial year after year n the collector base for the most part is aging year after year...tick tock, tick tock....

Pittsburgh was WELL ahead of recent Rosemont ANA shows, BUT Pittsburgh is a more expensive site to have a summer ANA show. Pennsylvania ALWAYS out-performs. Make no mistake - the ANA keeps going back to Rosemont because they are a cheap place to hold a show.

We'll know more about 2025 and 2026 March shows after the Board of Governors meeting tomorrow afternoon.

Edited by VKurtB

All the following cities are between 700-725 miles of me, all major show sites: Rosemont, Pittsburgh, Oklahoma City, Baltimore, Orlando. For me, that's the outer edge of drivability. 

the numismatic hobby is becoming less collector oriented n more commercial

I'm. not really sure what that means. I greatly prefer shows with talks and meetings, not just a bourse.

On 11/13/2023 at 11:38 AM, VKurtB said:

All the following cities are between 700-725 miles of me, all major show sites: Rosemont, Pittsburgh, Oklahoma City, Baltimore, Orlando. For me, that's the outer edge of drivability. 

...for me orlando, long beach two days travel and/or fly...chicago just barely can do one day but pain in the arse trip getting there...the local n regional smaller shows pretty sparse coin n dealer wise...but is what it is....

On 11/13/2023 at 11:41 AM, VKurtB said:

I'm. not really sure what that means. I greatly prefer shows with talks and meetings, not just a bourse.

...im in agreement on talks n meetings n displays/exhibits n seeing old cronies, thats what its all bout n where one learns...i like the bourse since lets me face up with dealers ive known 50 plus years, at least the alive ones, n renew friendships n add to collections etc... n if my timing is rite i can snag the almost empty bottles that Charmy throws away....