• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 Penny, color is off, weights 2.7g. Has the coin been cleaned?
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Although I can't tell from the photos, it is possible that this 1983 cent has "brassy plating", which error-ref.com describes as "the product of a zinc contamination within the copper plating bath. The presence of the zinc produces a plating that has a slightly yellowish appearance compared with the normal copper with a red, orange or pinkish appearance. The zinc contamination comes from trapped zinc planchets that are retained and ultimately dissolved in the plating bath. They are often found on 1983 and 1998 Lincoln cents but could hypothetically be found on any year plated planchets were used", which would be from 1982 to date. https://www.error-ref.com/?s=yellowish+1983+cents

To my knowledge, collectors don't attach any significant value to cents with "brassy plating".

I would say there is a higher probability of this coin being cleaned than a "brassy plating" specimen. I am going to vote that at least the reverse was cleaned. Imho the reverse details seem more "worn" than the obverse details and a cleaning on one side could account for this.

Copper will change color as it ages, unless kept in a protective environment.  As far as weight, I would assume that you weighed other pennies in the same date range for comparison or even googled the weight and composition history of a penny.