• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Proposal to replace shield nickel design.

4 posts in this topic

Mint of the United States
Philadelphia
June 19, 1867
Hon. Hugh McCulloch
Secretary of the Treasury
Dear Sir,
For sometime past we have been in receipt of letters from persons residing in different parts of the country respecting the two varieties of the five cent nickel coin in circulation.

The coin as first issued contained rays between the stars on the reverse. Subsequently, in February last, I think, the rays were omitted and the coin issued without them. The alteration leads many persons to believe the one variety or the other to be counterfeit. With a view to do away with this embarrassment, as well as to improve the artistic appearance of the coin, I instructed the Engraver to prepare dies with entirely new devices. These dies are now completed and I send you herewith the first specimen struck from them (in copper).

The obverse contains an emblematic head of Liberty surrounded by the legend, “United States of America,” with the year of coinage underneath. The reverse has the inscription “5 cents,” surrounded by branches of olives indicative of the peaceful condition of our country – and above the motto “In God We Trust.”

In a few days we will have struck and forwarded to you a few specimens in the nickel-copper alloy, and I shall then have the honor to ask approval of the new devices and present the reasons for the proposed change.
Respectfully yours,
H. R. Linderman,
Director

Linderman's design change proposal was rejected - there were already too many minor coin designs in circulation. Shield nickels quickly became the most commonly counterfeited coin in the United States. Railroad and trolley fares were based on the "nickel" and fakes made from "nickel-silver" and pewter scrap were a persistent problem for businesses and the Philadelphia Mint. Counterfeits could be made from false dies for less than 1-cent each, and easily sold to commuters for 3-cents.

On 11/1/2023 at 1:54 PM, Lem E said:

I would have liked to see the Longacre J-561 5 cent pattern used. I really like the reverse design.

This was a pet project of Longacre's. "The design is, of itself, attractive and possesses more character and interest than those actually intended for production. But this was not a coin, it was closer to what is now called a “concept piece” or possibly a “metallic prototype.” Its purpose was to demonstrate a practical use for aluminum in U.S. coinage."   (See my 2022 article "Possible Revised Identification of Judd 561 'Pattern Five Cent' Piece" for details.)