• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2019 Clad error dime
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Forum

It looks to me like it might be a stain and has some glue or other substance on it.  
Soak it in pure acetone for 24 hrs and see if it comes off.

In the future, pleas3 crop your photos. This will help to enlarge them.

I agree it looks to be stained by something. I also can see some kind of partial coating of something still on the reverse. I can only assume that whatever it is at one time covered the whole portion that is discolored and caused the stain.

In a stained condition it is only worth face value.

Edited by powermad5000

Welcome to the NGC Chat Board. As previously suggested, please crop your photos so that to the greatest extent possible they depict the coin you want to show us and not the surface on which it sits.

The vast majority of the coins we see on this forum that are described as "mint errors" by those who post them are instead coins that have been damaged after leaving the mint or coins that have been altered to resemble mint errors. Based on the current photos, which don't permit us to see much detail, your 2019-P Roosevelt dime looks like it could exhibit more than one kind of error, which is highly unusual and in itself suspicious. (If the "blob" on the upper right reverse is a clear, shiny material above the coin metal, at least this characteristic is definitely an alteration, whether or not acetone removes it.)

I suggest that you show the coin to a coin dealer or collector who is familiar with mint errors, who could be found at a larger coin show, or you could check with your local dealers. If there are no such shows or dealers in your area, I suggest that you contact Sullivan Numismatics of Land O Lakes, FL, www.sullivannumismatics.com, (931) 797-4888. On the website, go to the "Customer Service" tab and click "Contact Us" for instructions on sending questions about and photos of your coin.  You can also look for other dealers in this specialty on the NGC coin dealer locator at Find Coin Shops & Dealers | Coin Dealer Locator | NGC (ngccoin.com) or through the website of the Professional Numismatists Guild at www.pngdealers.org. I would not risk submitting the coin to a third-party grading service such as NGC, PCGS or ANACS for error attribution without obtaining an expert opinion that it is actually a mint error.

It may partially be a mint error related to missing outer cladding that peeled off, either before of after the strike, but it's hard to tell with those photos.  I agree that it looks like there is a foreign substance on the reverse at the top right quadrant and around 9 o'clock.  Are those areas raised as they appear to be?

I would also be curious to see what happens from a 24hr acetone soak, but if a raised area it may be like an epoxy glue that will not be affected.  Just be very careful as that stuff and the fumes are super flammable.  After the soak maybe post some better photos that are also cropped like the attached, which should come out better if cropped before posting.

If you are taking the photos with a phone, rest your hand on something and then check that when you zoom in it doesn't get blurry.  Also, is the coin at the copper colored area slightly thinner, with a lip at the edge of the area?  You likely wouldn't be able to see that from photos directly above.  And a weight to 0.01g would be helpful.

2019-P 10C Forum Obv.jpg

2019-P 10C Forum Rev.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO