• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1958 ddo penny fs101 is thiz?I believe I see hard-core doubling though.
1 1

14 posts in this topic

On 10/27/2023 at 6:40 PM, Travsobeast said:

1958 ddo penny fs101 ... I believe I see hard-core doubling though.

On 10/27/2023 at 6:40 PM, Travsobeast said:

So would this be a new discovery fs 102+ etc?

No, there is just gunk and wear of an old cent with some slightly blurry scope pics.  I'm not sure what you are looking at, but I don't see any doubling, let alone "hard-core" doubling whatever that is.  See the attached for an example of significant hub doubling, with clear signs of notching, as well as an infographic on how to identify that.  And no, that is not a blurry photo.

Hmmm, another super rare and crazy valuable coin you think was found in your couch, and with "hard-core" diagnostics.  Let me guess, right after you saw the video about the super rare proof 1975 (S) 10C No-S you saw another clickbait clueless tuber video about the extremely valuable 1958 1C DDO that you might be able to find in your couch, and figured you could just scoop a similar one out of your pocket change.

As noted before, you need to forget those worthless videos, put the scope away, and start over from scratch learning about coin collecting.  Then you will actually know what you are looking at, and may have a chance at finding something rare.

1972 1C DDO.jpg

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

Once again, I have to post the NGC Coin Explorer photos of the extremely rare 1958 DDO, FS-101.of which none has been found for decades, to demonstrate that the posted coin isn't one:

818837-1.jpg.8b2b299d263e7e25efdbf08fa56a2fb1.jpg 818837-1(2).jpg.a3beb61435cfc5e012de2f959aab1fca.jpg 818837-1(3).jpg.1df5e5c50a0ffaab578fef1a844d8de6.jpg 

The "FS" designations refer to "Fivaz-Stanton" numbers assigned to a variety in The Cherrypickers' Guide to Rare Die Varieties by Bill Fivaz and the late J.T. Stanton and published by Whitman, most recently in a sixth edition. Even if the posted coin were a doubled die, which it doesn't appear to be, you can't assign these numbers to varieties yourself. Many minor varieties aren't found significant enough to list in the Cherrypickers' Guide but may be listed on such websites as doubleddie.com and varietyvista.com.

It's an ordinary circulated, dirty cent. It will help your if you look on-line for authentic coins, and then compare yours to the real ones.

On 10/28/2023 at 3:24 AM, dprince1138 said:

Very rude..

@ModeratorUS

@admin

My, you are very easily triggered.  :roflmao:  Have you read all the posts by the op?  I have, and not one coin posted has been anywhere close to what the op thought.   So possibly the op is just fishing after watching some of the many false you tube videos and has zero idea what to look for, or (and this is very likely as he/she uses a microscope) vision is a problem.   My suggestion to get new glasses is only meant to help resolve that if vision is a problem.

This is not daycare, perhaps you need to find a space that is safer for you. :luhv:

On 10/28/2023 at 11:12 AM, Coinbuf said:

My, you are very easily triggered.  :roflmao:  Have you read all the posts by the op?  I have, and not one coin posted has been anywhere close to what the op thought.   So possibly the op is just fishing after watching some of the many false you tube videos and has zero idea what to look for, or (and this is very likely as he/she uses a microscope) vision is a problem.   My suggestion to get new glasses is only meant to help resolve that if vision is a problem.

This is not daycare, perhaps you need to find a space that is safer for you. :luhv:

Regardless, insulting someone is inconsiderate and only a consequence of intolerance and\or arrogance.  Behavior of this nature is rarely accpetable, at least on forums with a more mature population, and to be honest, I found it surprising to be found on what I had considered a well mannered and helpful population and content.  Although, I have only joined a few days ago and have little idea about the overall behavior of posters.

This is my last response.

On 10/28/2023 at 12:32 PM, dprince1138 said:

Regardless, insulting someone is inconsiderate and only a consequence of intolerance and\or arrogance.  Behavior of this nature is rarely accpetable, at least on forums with a more mature population, and to be honest, I found it surprising to be found on what I had considered a well mannered and helpful population and content.  Although, I have only joined a few days ago and have little idea about the overall behavior of posters.

This is my last response.

You seem to have poor reading comprehension skills, I said I posted that to help the op.

Bty, accpetable is correctly spelled acceptable, poor grammar is rarely acceptable by a mature population.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 10/28/2023 at 6:24 AM, dprince1138 said:

Very rude..

You need to lighten up.  I don't think some banterous comment about the op needing glasses is completely out of line considering they emphatically stated just blurry pics of a normal worn coin was "hard-core" doubling. ;)

On 10/27/2023 at 8:57 PM, Sandon said:

NGC Coin Explorer photos of the extremely rare 1958 DDO, FS-101

The op mentioned the FS-101 so I figured they had seen that but completely misidentified their coin anyway.  It seemed like they needed to see one with more pronounced hub doubling that more clearly shows the distinct notching a true DDO would exhibit, like the classic 1972 (P) 1C DDO doubling.

It gets even more difficult with identifying true hub doubling on modern coins since the introduction of the single-squeeze die making process.  So understanding basic concepts becomes more important.  Seems like even minor DD's are being attributed by the big boys with how unusual that has become.