• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1856 BB Napoleon III 50 Centimes Silver
1 1

4 posts in this topic

I have researched world coin books, searched the creditable grading company websites and price guides trying to find this coin's value and specifications with no luck. The closet I found was the gold version (this one is silver) and an 1856 "A" mint mark with the same reverse design. The 1853, 1858 10 and 20 centimes coins have a different design on the reverse. I have no clue where else to look. The aforementioned "almost the coins" are listed at the typical auctions or Ebay with prices ranging from $30 to $7000. Not one exact match.

I'd appreciate any suggestions where else to search. 

Thank you

Dazed and Confused

20231023_170220.jpg

20231023_170141.jpg

Welcome to the Forum!

It just so happens I have a recent edition of the Monnais Francais ("The French Red Book") and will see what I can come up with...

What you have is listed (in French) under the heading Second Republic - Second Empire - 50 CENTIMES.  Second Empire, 1852 - 1870.  Napoleon III, 1856 BB 1,195, 698 minted (out of a total of 24, 955, 738 for the series. Argent 900% 2.5 g;  18 mm diameter;  Jacques-Jean Barre. The following were prevailing prices (2021)  [French] Grades:  B (Beau) or from USA - G-6 to F-14; TB (Tres Beau) from F-15 to VF-39; TTB (Tres Tres Beau) from XF-40 to AU-54;  SUP (Superbe) from AU-55 to MS-62.  PRICES  (presumably in euros)...B: €30, TB: €50, TTB: €80, SUP: €200.  The highest grade is FDC (fleur de coin) the U.S. equivalent of which is a range encompassing Mint State 65 to Mint State 70. The price listed is €700.

Hope this helps.  Oddly, it is the only coin book I have [courtesy of distinguished member VKurtB.]

Edited by Henri Charriere
To furnish the results for the OPs inquiry.

On 10/23/2023 at 5:57 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

The NGC World Coin Price Guide (see "Price Guides" under the "Resources" tab at the top of the NGC home page) has the following listing for this coin series, including the 1856-BB issue: France 50 Centimes KM 794.2 Prices & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com).

Your coin is well worn (Fine or so details), and its overly bright coloration suggests that it has been improperly "cleaned".  Accordingly, its retail value would likely be less than the $30 shown for an unimpaired Very Fine example.

Thanks for the informative and expedient reply. Being it's a 168-year-old coin that I can pass on to the next generation is thrill enough for me. Thank you for the link for future searches.

Still Dazed but no longer confused...... as much.