• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Gradeflation Peaked ?

39 posts in this topic

On 10/23/2023 at 8:28 PM, World Colonial said:

there isn't a dime's worth of practical difference between coins with the different labels in your examples and that it's all financialization and marketing?

I recently purchased a ‘23s quarter. The greysheet wholesale bid price for it is 400.00 more for one with a bean.

So, I now need 2 ! Opinions to get a better price ? THAT is grade inflation and it permeates this hobby . Another angle to navigate And it irritates me to no end. Roger is right, there is an element of greed. 

There is a coin shop near me that had 3 half eagles  . They are also on eBay. One of those dates has 2 listings ; one in an NGC holder and one in a PCGS holder. Same grade, ms 61 . The latter holder is 100.00 more. Buy the coin , not the label everyone says. I like the owner, but this is bull sht. 

All this might not quite pertain to the op’s question, but it’s two examples of inflation where it ought not to be. 

Edited by Dave1384

Posted (edited)
On 3/9/2024 at 9:16 PM, Dave1384 said:

I recently purchased a ‘23s quarter. The greysheet wholesale bid price for it is 400.00 more for one with a bean. So, I now need 2 ! Opinions to get a better price ? THAT is grade inflation and it permeates this hobby . Another angle to navigate And it irritates me to no end. Roger is right, there is an element of greed.   There is a coin shop near me that had 3 half eagles  . They are also on eBay. One of those dates has 2 listings ; one in an NGC holder and one in a PCGS holder. Same grade, ms 61 . The latter holder is 100.00 more. Buy the coin , not the label everyone says. I like the owner, but this is bull sht.  All this might not quite pertain to the op’s question, but it’s two examples of inflation where it ought not to be. 

I think these are more cases of high prices than gradeflation.  Also, specialization of marketing.

At least you the seller/buying know what you are getting for when you sell/buy.  40 years ago, you might be selling a $400 coin for $125 or buying a $125 coin for $400.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/9/2024 at 8:16 PM, Dave1384 said:

I recently purchased a ‘23s quarter. The greysheet wholesale bid price for it is 400.00 more for one with a bean.

So, I now need 2 ! Opinions to get a better price ? THAT is grade inflation and it permeates this hobby . Another angle to navigate And it irritates me to no end. Roger is right, there is an element of greed. 

There is a coin shop near me that had 3 half eagles  . They are also on eBay. One of those dates has 2 listings ; one in an NGC holder and one in a PCGS holder. Same grade, ms 61 . The latter holder is 100.00 more. Buy the coin , not the label everyone says. I like the owner, but this is bull sht. 

All this might not quite pertain to the op’s question, but it’s two examples of inflation where it ought not to be. 

None of that is gradeflation. 

On 3/11/2024 at 1:50 PM, VKurtB said:

None of that is gradeflation. 

Troo dat!  This is a far more sinister contagion and insidious. Forget the mask. Register your complaint with your feet. Stand your ground!  :sumo:

I can’t believe this needs to be typed, but “gradeflation” is when coins of identical quality (or even the very same coin) keep getting higher and higher GRADES. It has nothing whatsoever to do with prices. 

On 3/11/2024 at 11:49 PM, VKurtB said:

I can’t believe this needs to be typed, but “gradeflation” is when coins of identical quality (or even the very same coin) keep getting higher and higher GRADES. It has nothing whatsoever to do with prices. 

But "market grading" is influenced by rapid and rising prices which leads to (one form of) gradeflation.  Read JA's comments in the 2022 CoinWeek article about 1985 Type Sets.

From my observations "grade-flation" continues and CAC as mostly gone along with it. If CAC were not going along with it, the supply of CAC approved coins would be drying up. 

I bought this Type I gold dollar many years ago from a dealer who was playing the crack-out game. It is in a PCGS MS-64 holder and he figured it would make MS-65 which carried a $2 to $3 increase in value at the time. I paid too much because of that. It's as good as the MS-65 coins are now, but the MS-65 coins are only selling for a couple thousand dollars. So I'm behind the market with the most common gold dollar of all, the 1853-P.

As for CAC, they dampened my purchases of U.S. coins considerably. I got into British and Roman Imperial coins, and have really enjoyed it. 

1853 Gold Dol All.jpg

Edited by BillJones