• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 US Proof Set Inquiry
1 1

5 posts in this topic

First, let me preface this with an apology.  My OCD forces me to ask (what I feel is) a dumb question.  After reading a previous chat regarding the fabled unicorn 1982d "Small Date" copper "whoopsie", I rifled through what 80's pennies I had available to see if I had one of each of the eight listed common varieties.  So far, I surprisingly had 7 of the 8, including the 82-S proof.  When I pulled out the proof coin I noticed that it was the "large date" variety, but the revered Red Book bible (2022 ed.) indicates that the proof is a "Small Date" variety.  I went on the famed internet contraption and checked pics of 82 Proof sets and all that I saw, so many, so many. . . they were all "Large Date" varieties.  So, I am assuming that Red Book just mislabeled the Proof coin.  **it happens, has anyone found other mistakes in the Red Book?

- My show and tell pixies are being denied at the moment,...stay tuned for superfluous pics...