• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I get old photo slabs graded, like the GSA slabs?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

This topic would have best been posted on the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum, where the pertinent NGC staff would have provided an initial answer. The NGC Registry forum is for topics pertaining to the registry.

I'm pretty sure that the answer to your question is "NO". The NGC certification of coins in holders that didn't originate with NGC appears to be limited to the GSA, Redfield, and other holders shown as "Specialty Holders" on the following NGC website page: NGC Coin Holders | Holders for Coin Protection | NGC.

Your holder is a privately made plastic holder held together with removeable screws that would have been sold empty to the dealer or collector who inserted the coin and ANACS certificate. It can easily be opened, the coin and/or certificate replaced, and then re-closed. It isn't a "photo slab" at all. The GSA, Redfield, and other "Specialty Holders" were sealed for single use.   The photographs on an ANACS certificate were inadequate to tell for sure that the coin depicted in it was in fact the one that accompanied that certificate and that the condition of the coin was the same as when it was examined by ANACS.

You could submit the coin to NGC for certification in a standard NGC holder. In 1983 the only grades for uncirculated coins recognized and awarded by ANACS (then owned by the ANA) were 60, 63, 65, and 67. The current 60 to 70 eleven-point scale was adopted in 1986. Grading standards have changed, and the coin may receive a different grade than MS 63.  You can keep the ANACS certificate as an interesting memento. I have several of them myself.

Sandon is correct, NGC will not certify something that is not in a reasonably secure holder, and the Capital plastic holder you have is not secure in the least.   As neither Sandon or I work for NGC, I encourage you to contact NGC customer service to verify that, but I am confident that the official answer will be no.

Welcome to the forum.

If that were my coin, I would leave it just the way it is. I definitely would not have it put in a slab.

Just my opinion, of course.

Thanks for the feedback.  I know this is not a secure holder, and the coin there could conceivably be other than the original.  I figured, once it was sealed with the wrap around sticker like the GSAs or Paramounts, it would then be the official grade, as it was then sealed.  I have a few, don't intend to get them into a new holder, much of what makes them interesting is the old certs.  Maybe you guys have a lead on a source for the old Capital holders these are in, seems Capital has discounted them; anybody has a lead, that would be great, I have a few more that are loose, if I can find some of the old photo cert holders, would at least get them into one.  Thanks again.  John