• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pobjoy Mint

7 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2023 at 8:06 AM, Zebo said:

I among many others have had our frustrations with the Pobjoy Mint over the years. Their record keeping, or I should say the lack of, has been a tremendous disappointment. Their staff has been pleasant throughout, however. The Pobjoy Mint produced both circulating and non-circulating coinage for the Isle of Man and others. I just saw that it has been announced that they will be closing unless someone else purchases the mint. See below

Too bad, they were an innovator in their time and produced many wonderful pieces but seem to have been trending downward the past 5-10 years or so. It seems loosing the IoM contract was the beginning of the end, I don't think they were ever able to make up for that loss of business. Their seeming lack of record keeping and haphazard way of doing things also lead to many unique errors and rarities having been produced.

I actually have several Pobjoy tokens, hard to collect IoM coinage and not end up with a few. 

image.thumb.png.1c7040dc7421cf1b05f1ab3ce1538d0b.png

I've posted this before but it's been awhile and we have some new people here, so... If you skip to the 3 min. mark they start talking about the minting process. There is a few more videos out there of Pobjoy, one from 1978 with Derek Pojoy and Leslie Lindsay, and another of Pobjoy zipping around in his race boat but I can't figure out how to post them here. (shrug)