• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Die Polishing Lines, Like, Dislike, Indifferent?
1 1

38 posts in this topic

On 12/12/2023 at 8:37 PM, VKurtB said:

There are two unrelated things going on here on this “Jeff”. The field lines are one thing, and the cheek/collar lines are quite another.

It’s not my coin but it is in a straight grade holder at a 66.

Polishing is one thing; scrubbing is another.  This looks like the work of a switch-hitting scrubber.  Would I be getting what I paid for -- me, the "proof is a proof is a proof-guy"?

I don't think so.  I'd want my money back. Fat chance that'd ever happen.

On 12/12/2023 at 9:37 PM, VKurtB said:

There are two unrelated things going on here on this “Jeff”. The field lines are one thing, and the cheek/collar lines are quite another.

Yes the marks on the cheek are not from a polished die. That area would be the low spot on a die and should not have been touched. If it had the whole bust would have lines. whoever graded this coin must have not thought about it. That coin was dragged across the cheek. 

On 12/10/2023 at 11:11 AM, BillJones said:

This was a bigger problem in the 1950s and than it is today. 

You would think with all the technology -- laser etching, etc. -- that went into the production of the 2009 UHR that the problem (?) of die polishing lines would not be present on ANY of the coins.

I wonder if a few just snuck through out of the 100,000 or so that were made or if a significant number got them.  Also, do they stand out or do you have to angle the coin in the light the right way to see 'em ?

On 1/19/2024 at 10:45 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

You would think with all the technology -- laser etching, etc. -- that went into the production of the 2009 UHR that the problem (?) of die polishing lines would not be present on ANY of the coins.

I wonder if a few just snuck through out of the 100,000 or so that were made or if a significant number got them.  Also, do they stand out or do you have to angle the coin in the light the right way to see 'em ?

I do not know what the Mint's policy is on returned merchandise, but if we are talking gold, no way I am going to possess a disheveled coin I am going to have to go through life with explaining flaws on its surface, and more particularly, a glacial moraine that was left behind when the ice masses retreated. :hi:

On 1/19/2024 at 10:45 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Many times the polishing lines do not show GF and you end up with PL fields on a coin. 

On 1/20/2024 at 8:46 AM, J P M said:

Many times the polishing lines do not show GF and you end up with PL fields on a coin. 

Do we know WHY sometimes the polishing lines show and other times they don't ?  With modern coins, with everything tightly controlled, I would think we would.

Must have something to do with the wear on the dies, huh ?