• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your Holy Grail?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

What's the coin you've had your eye out for ever since you can remember and what, if you are inclined to disclose it, is preventing you from acquiring it?

Mine was the Lincoln 1909 VDB matte proof. I started building a set of these matte proofs about 40 years ago. At that time the price for the 1909 VDB was not that bad but every one I looked at was just ugly. As the years went by, I watched the price go up and up at a crazy rate.

At some point, I had a talk with myself and just gave up on ever owning the coin. I don't need to have a complete set of anything to be happy.  

On 10/13/2023 at 1:17 AM, RWB said:

Since a "holy grail" is imaginary, I guess my "holy coin" must remain so, too.

:)

According to one source cited in googoo land, the Brittanica Dictionary provides a secondary definition for holy grail:  "something that you want very much that is very hard to get or to achieve."

For the record, my holy grail in my starry-eyed youth was the 1909-S VDB Lincoln Head cent in what very well may have been Mint State condition, then described as BU, which I had acquired in my teens and have sold since. 

Today, it is the French 20-franc Gold Rooster, circulated, 1899-1914. While "complete" and deemed the "best set" on the West coast, it is less than 2 points of becoming the "Best Possible Set."

Over here on the NGC Set Registry, the top two competitors' sets are incomplete and their owners are presumably biding their time waiting for the rarest example in the series to become available: the 1900, which is the second date in the series.  I believe that remains the holy grail for both though that may not necessarily be so.

On 10/13/2023 at 11:23 AM, Sandon said:

I suppose for me the pertinent coin would be a Gobrecht dollar, but a decent looking one has always been too expensive.

If it doesn't look like acquiring one is in the cards for you, you may wish to consider 2 troy oz. silver Tribute Rounds such as those introduced by the Intaglio Mint in 2019 which, though produced in limited quantities to exacting specs are still available on the internet for less than $99. [Authentic ones run into the tens of thousands of dollars with one I saw today being advertised for $100,000.] The Tributes may come as close to owning a genuine Gobrecht Dollar (1836-1839) as you can possibly get.

On 10/13/2023 at 2:58 PM, Henri Charriere said:

For the record, my holy grail in my starry-eyed youth was the 1909-S VDB Lincoln Head cent in what very well may have been Mint State condition, then described as BU, which I had acquired in my teens and have sold since. 

Today, it is the French 20-franc Gold Rooster, circulated, 1899-1914. While "complete" and deemed the "best set" on the West coast, it is less than 2 points of becoming the "Best Possible Set."

Over here on the NGC Set Registry, the top two competitors' sets are incomplete and their owners are presumably biding their time waiting for the rarest example in the series to become available: the 1900, which is the second date in the series.  I believe that remains the holy grail for both though that may not necessarily be so.

...u need to watch "indiana jones and the last crusade" again,so u know how ur search ends....

On 10/13/2023 at 5:37 PM, zadok said:

...u need to watch "indiana jones and the last crusade" again,so u know how ur search ends....

Now is that a nice thing to say knowing this is a Life or Death matter for me?  :facepalm:  All I want to do is Lock-In my All-Time top rank and insure my legacy, for as long as I can.  :whistle:

Since one of my favorite series I collect are circulated Morgan silver dollars it would have to be a decent 1893-S Morgan.  About the cost of a new car even in a circulated grade that would still fit in the collection.  Forget about one in mint state or the even more elusive 1895 (P) Proof Morgan which costs the equivalent of a small house to acquire.

I could probably swing a bottom end grade 1893-S to finish my all date and mark circulated Morgan collection.  But I just don't think I would be happy with that or think it would fit with all the other coins generally in the XF to BU range.

Maybe one day if I hit the lottery or I'm retired with some extra cash I will fill that collection hole.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/13/2023 at 5:56 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Now is that a nice thing to say knowing this is a Life or Death matter for me?  :facepalm:  All I want to do is Lock-In my All-Time top rank and insure my legacy, for as long as I can.  :whistle:

...sorry to disappoint, but dont think u will ever "lock-in" ur all-time top rank...i am personally aware of 5 certified roosters higher than those in ur " west coast" set not including the '08 n '12 68s...just consider urself fortunate that the owner thinks that the "west coast" registry sucks in virtually all areas...just ride the wave until it isnt....