• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1937 Half Sov Worth Regrading?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2023 at 4:58 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

The obverse is decent cameo but the reverse is obviously un blessed. Its graded correctly.

Appreciate the responses. I am still learnning!

Sitting directly next to a cam in the next grade up, I truly cannot see a difference in the degree of reflectivity on the reverse. Is it really that obvious?

IMG_7140.jpeg

IMG_7141.jpeg

IMG_7142.jpeg

IMG_7143.jpeg

On 10/9/2023 at 5:06 PM, dav51 said:

Compared to a cam of the same year and similar grade, I really do not see a difference. Can I ask why it’s obvious?

The coin on the left, "B" coin I think, appears to have less contrast, not sure if it's the same coin as in the OP, particularly in the body of the horse my guess is that's why it didn't grade cam. The obv doesn't seem full cameo to me either, particularly at the nape, cheek, and bridge on the effigy, but we are just going off of images, it might look different in hand. You could call NGC and see if there are any grader's notes on this coin.

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Clarification

On 10/9/2023 at 5:16 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The coin on the left, "B" coin I think, appears to have more contrast, not sure if it's the same coin as in the OP, particularly in the body of the horse my guess is that's why it didn't grade cam. The obv doesn't seem full cameo to me either, particularly at the nape, cheek, and bridge on the effigy, but we are just going off of images, it might look different in hand. You could call NGC and see if there are any grader's notes on this coin.

Thanks so much for the explanation. Coin B is original coin in the post, graded at a 63*, coin A is a 64+cam. 

To answer your topic question in deference to the universally acclaimed "Robert's Rules of Order" and "Uniform Rules of Citation" as developed by the Great Zadok which is universally acclaimed and accepted, notably for its classic, simple brevity, the answer, without further elaboration, is "No."

Edited by Henri Charriere