• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943 -S Steel Penny Re-punch Mimt Mark?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

It's hard to tell from your photos, but I do not think so.  I think this is a later die state where the "posts" that create the recesses in the S have broken off.  See if you can find a match while looking at it in-hand:  http://www.varietyvista.com/02a LC RPMs Vol 1/RPMs 1943S.htm

It looks like that penny has been plated. If so its worthless (1c). Sorry. The Mint mark is a blob mark from the loss of the two center S post die details.  Not rare and many coins were struck with this late stage die deformity.

This coin is closest on VarietyVista to RPM-004 die stage C, but is lacking all of the markers necessary to confirm that this is an actual RPM. I am going to say this is not an RPM but rather the S has a die chip in the mintmark. I used to own a 1955 S with a "filled" S mintmark. As it turns out, this is a more common occurrence in the Lincoln Wheat series and both D and S examples have these filled mintmarks. Your coin has an unnatural appearance to it and does look to be plated. While it is possible that the plating obliterated some of the markers needed to prove an RPM, I would say the conditions of the coin with the plating make it not worth any more investigating into an RPM that is not widely recognized and therefore not adding any premium to its value.