• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1980 Mint set mixed D and S

6 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.  

Yes, it is absolutely normal. Both 1980 and 1981 uncirculated coin a.k.a. "mint" sets contain SBA dollars from all three mints. The 1979 "mint" set didn't include the "S" mint coins, but they were included in separate three-coin SBA sets that were available from the mint for 1979 and 1980.

On 9/30/2023 at 11:12 AM, jimg908 said:

I came upon a 1980 Mint set. The 6 coin set was from the Philadelphia mint. The 7 coin set has 2 SBA dollars one from Denver and the other from San Francisco. Is this normal?

Attached is a pic for a complete 1980 mint set, with the blue trim cello sheet having the 6 Philly coins and the red trim cello sheet like the one you posted having the 7 D & S coins with two SBA's (one D and one S).  You can find complete sets with both sheets and the envelope for under $10.

1980-u-s-mint-set_1248_Obv.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/30/2023 at 1:06 PM, EagleRJO said:

Attached is a pic for a complete 1980 mint set, with the blue trim cello sheet having the 6 Philly coins and the red trim cello sheet like the one you posted having the 7 D & S coins with two SBA's (one D and one S).  You can find complete sets with both sheets and the envelope for under $10.

Yes. I had this complete set from when they first came out and I just sold them on eBay last year as the coins in the cellos were just not very high quality specimens. I think I sold them complete for about $8.

On 9/30/2023 at 4:12 PM, jimg908 said:

I came upon a 1980 Mint set. The 6 coin set was from the Philadelphia mint. The 7 coin set has 2 SBA dollars one from Denver and the other from San Francisco. Is this normal?

1980mintset.jpg

This is only a 1980 mint set if it ALSO includes the Philly coins. This is 7/13 of a set. 

Edited by VKurtB