• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can I ask your thoughts on this Facebook ad for a coin show?

12 posts in this topic

Is the site called the "Sheraton Tarrytown," or is it the "Sheraton" in Tarrytown ? If the latter, you need a comma after "Sheraton."

Why are the hours so short....at least run it until 5 PM....

Yeah, the style is old fashioned, but that might draw attention.

Edited by RWB

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I am going to call this a "cop-and-go" show.

Your marketing survey must have suggested there is a demand for this type of extravaganza beyond the city limits.

To RWB:  Silly as it may seem, commas have been dispensed with joining periods in acronyms abandoned years ago. The New York Marriott is in Times Square. Its kid brother in east midtown is simply called the Marriott East.  A reader asked the New York Times what happened to the periods in acronyms like F.B.I., D.E.A., and C.I.A., and was told they cost money to print.  True story. I believe most viewers a hundred years younger than you 🤣 are no longer aware that some words actually stand for names or even why acronyms like laser and radar are no longer capitalized and appear in lower-case letters. How many people even know what a.m. and p.m. in time mean, or what the A.M. and F.M. dial on radios stand for?

Good luck with the coin show!

Edited by Henri Charriere
Minor die-polishing

Punctuation is present, and used to improve clarity. Most writing today is simple and requires only basic punctuation. But a lot of 18th and 19th century material is cluttered and difficult to understand in part because of excessive use of commas and semicolons.

In the ad, unless there is something showing there is only one Sheraton in Tarrytown, then a comma is required or a title for a specific Sheraton. Ask Quintus -- it's even tougher in Latin.

On 9/28/2023 at 8:26 PM, Zebo said:

Too busy and too colorful. Just my opinion. 

It's a one-shot deal. Perfect for someone like me who knows exactly he's looking for and doesn't allow himself to get distracted. Not exactly the perfect patron -- except to the dealer who just happens to have precisely what I need.  Of course, if an upgrade materializes, I become an indentured servant all over again.  🤣

Looks to be a local show with local, pocket vest dealers.  Sometimes they can be the best, and sometimes it's not worth getting out of bed.

Edit note:  On second read... I see maybe you are asking about the poster.  The poster is fine... But your website only shows 14 dealers and two non-dealer tables.  So, a very small show.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Seems valid - remember him from ATS. 

HERE’S HOW TO CONTACT US.

penguin_type_laptop_md_wht.gif

Email, letter or phone.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Telephone:

914-722-3606

Address:

Scarsdale Coin  (Please Call For Appointment)
          1214 West Boston Post Road
          Mamaroneck, NY  10543 

E-Mail:

Jon@ScarsdaleCoin.com 

On 9/28/2023 at 6:29 PM, RWB said:

Is the site called the "Sheraton Tarrytown," or is it the "Sheraton" in Tarrytown ? If the latter, you need a comma after "Sheraton."

Why are the hours so short....at least run it until 5 PM.... Yeah, the style is old fashioned, but that might draw attention.

Yes, the show should go to at least 3 PM. (thumbsu

I would also have a nice coin's obverse/reverse showing instead of the sides of a bunch of stacked coins.   A nice Saint Gaudens Double Eagle or a Morgan Dollar obverse would be nice.

I used to attend the Westchester Show which was quarterly...right before Covid-19, a new show started up which was in a nice hotel (Marriott or Sheraton, I think) in Mount Kisco.  I thought it had promise....but then Covid hit, I have been inactive since.