• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Posting Pictures
1 1

12 posts in this topic

I take my pictures in portrait. When I download in choose files, they are in portrait. When I post, they are in landscape and I can't figure out how to turn them??? What am I doing wrong?

Nobody wants to see a sideways coin. Thanks for any help

Edited by Teddy R

That would happen to me too with pics that were somewhat square, so now I post the obv and rev spliced together with Paint like the attached which won't rotate.

I know it's not really an answer, just my work around.

1971 Silver Ike $1.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

I would think somewhere in your phone settings or in your camera app settings you can find a setting to turn rotation off. I do not know, however, how that affects when you do want to take a landscape photo (I am thinking it will still have the portrait style just with big black sides to it having rotation fully turned off). The only other thing I could say here is when I take any of my coin photos, I always go into the photo editor and do any rotations, cropping, and adjustments in the editor and then save the photo without keeping the original.

On 9/17/2023 at 3:44 PM, powermad5000 said:

I would think somewhere in your phone settings or in your camera app settings you can find a setting to turn rotation off.

I don't think the op is referring to how it appears on his phone or the camera app setting.  The rotation would happen to some pics I had which I didn't take or view on my phone, which I think has something to do with how the forum handles attachment pics.  I wasn't able to find any related forum settings.

Also, I think the portrait/landscape description by the op is simply their way of describing that the forum occasionally rotates a pic 90 or 180 degrees when it is posted.  I have seen numerous posts where it looks like this rotation has occurred when someone uploaded and posted a pic.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/17/2023 at 5:10 PM, EagleRJO said:

I don't think the op is referring to how it appears on his phone or the camera app setting.  The rotation would happen to some pics I had which I didn't take or view on my phone, which I think has something to do with how the forum handles attachment pics.  I wasn't able to find any related forum settings.

Also, I think the portrait/landscape description by the op is simply their way of describing that the forum occasionally rotates a pic 90 degrees when it is posted.  I have seen numerous posts where it looks like this rotation has occurred when uploading and posting a pic.

The first paragraph is correct.

Portrait is tall or the correct way you would display a pic of a slab. Landscape is wide or rotating the slab 90 degrees. This is what I get. IMG_5520.thumb.jpg.26603bca7200c8058667c969166545c7.jpg

Okay, so you are experiencing something different as rectangular pics like of a coin slab always post in the correct orientation for me if that is the way it appears on my screen.

Like when I take the slab you posted sideways, rotate it 90 degrees on my phone or computer, save it, and then post it that pic shows up in the correct vertical/portrait orientation like attached.  You might try rotating the pic to the correct vertical orientation and then saving that with a different filename and see if that helps.

The issue I encounter sometimes, and what I was referencing above,  is when mostly square pics are rotated 90 or 180 degrees when they are posted, even when saved with a different filename in the proper orientation.

IMG_5520.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/17/2023 at 6:51 PM, EagleRJO said:

Okay, so you are experiencing something different as rectangular pics like of a coin slab always post in the correct vertical orientation for me if that is the way it appears on my screen.

I noticed the size of the OP's pic is larger than the one you posted @EagleRJO. Maybe the size has something to do with it.

On 9/17/2023 at 11:46 PM, powermad5000 said:

Maybe the size has something to do with it.

Nah, I routinely resize pics to take up less space in posts and on my computer, unless a higher resolution is really needed.

Edited by EagleRJO

[Bad enough someone lifted my predecessor's mug shot from the post office, but posting it on the Registry of all places, and sideways, is downright insulting!]  :pullhair: