• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Phishing Scam Alerts... some thoughts.
1 1

8 posts in this topic

VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED... pure, unadulterated humor to follow.

As a member who has, and continues to receive, repeated attempts to enlist me for phishing, hiking and all-expense-paid excursions to exotic lands I have never heard of, to the tune of some two hundred daily, down from considerably more, before I experienced log-in loops at which point I was helpfully advised to jettison all my cash and cookies (most notably the oatmeal kind) 🤣  I did what all responsible members do: I shot off a letter to the sender (addressed to no one in particular) thanking them for bringing this urgent matter to my attention and requesting which of the many accounts I maintained under different names required my immediate action.  While I await a reply -- interestingly, the sender address was valid! -- my thoughts...

If any member were to be taken in by this amateurish attempt, that would explain why such scams are regarded as a threat.

If any entity were to be offended by the logo used, it ought to be NoCopyrightSounds, National Championship Sports, or the National Cathedral School.  All FedEx scams fail right out of the gate with poorly executed logos which fail to define the "arrow" formed between the E and X. Seasoned viewers know this.

Finally, thank you! Thank You! THANK YOU!  NGC, for validating my claim that the only proper way to spell collectible is as rendered here, using the "i," and not "a".

More on the scam if and when I receive the courtesy of a reply.

Moderation:  Feel free to delete if no replies are received within 48 hours as it is 7:37 p.m. here in New York.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die polishing

On 9/14/2023 at 7:14 PM, RWB said:

Interesting. I, myself, and me, await the certified check from the biggest bank in Nigeria for my inherited oil concession. (Only a $3,000 processing fee, too!)

Ah yes. That guy is such a prince.

In instances where I have received dispatches which border on colossal chutzpah, such as those purporting to be from the Director of the FBI, I forward the message I received to them for investigation and prosecution where warranted.  Members should take the time to understand that while scams involving the mails, television, internet and phones, each have their own investigative arm, some agencies have sites which are dedicated to specific scams.  The FBI, IRS, FCC and USPS handle specific complaints. I believe it safe to say, with the limited resources available to each agency for investigations of scams, the priority appears to be given, not to those who feel an attempt may have been made to scam them but to those who were actually victimized.  I have the time and inclination, so I report everything, particularly when someone purporting to be from the FBI or Customs and Border Patrol seeks your assistance in delivering a shipment -- or declares himself to be in a position to circumvent established security protocols to expedite delivery to you for a fee. I have archived some of the more creative schemes which would have succeeded had I not recognized a few stand-out Red Flags.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Usual die-polishing.

On 9/14/2023 at 6:41 PM, Henri Charriere said:

If any member were to be taken in by this amateurish attempt, that would explain why such scams are regarded as a threat.

It's usually said that it's a reverse intelligence test... they're trying to avoid wasting effort on people who will wise up before sending money.

in fact, the sample given is "better" than the usual drivel.

I had wanted to share my personal experiences in dealing with North West Territories mint which imploded a number of years back, but that will have to wait for another time and another thread

MODERATORS:  YOU HAVE PERFORMED MAGNIFICENTLY.

FEEL FREE, IN THE IMMORTAL WORDS OF REAGAN, TO "TEAR DOWN THIS WALL."

Man, I love this place!  🤣

On 9/14/2023 at 8:14 PM, RWB said:

Interesting. I, myself, and me, await the certified check from the biggest bank in Nigeria for my inherited oil concession. (Only a $3,000 processing fee, too!)

You better jump on it....mine are usually 6- or 7-figure sums to cover SG&A expenses. xD

Had my own run in with this sort of thing a month ago.  Four or more attempts per day.  Even got to the point where I checked — independently — to see if any breaches had occurred.

Best advice I can give is inspect each email with just a single click — to "see" them without opening them — and then delete them, followed by deleting them even further by deleting them in the Trash, too.  Maybe even go further by keeping a Notes file of who, what, where, and when as that sort of information may later reveal how well you've been parrying the threats.

The good news is… when the bot decides to "move on," you're eventually left alone.  (I hope.)