• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

مصر
1 1

4 posts in this topic

The top note is Pick # 23c, in that condition probably worth around $10-$20 US. If that is a harder to find date, 4th February 1950, it may bring a little more. Egyptian notes from that time period or earlier usually bring in strong prices. Below is an example of an uncirculated note, not mine unfortunately.

image.jpeg.f39144a7388eb56429f565d88ee998d0.jpeg

It's unlikely anyone cares, or is at all surprised given the images, but the thread title says "Egypt" in Arabic (of course). In Arabic, "misr," with the S drawn back into the throat so much that the R gets mostly swallowed with it. It's all one syllable.

In Mike's second image, looking at the banner to the left, you can see what I believe says "al-misriyya" ('the Egyptian'), which is the way adjectives are handled. Look for a tall stroke by itself, then going left, another tall stroke going into a little loop (the M), then a bigger loop (the deep S), a flowing swoosh that's the R, and above that a lonesome squiggle and swoosh that's the I (doubled; that's what the little w in it means to do, thus my doubled Y sound in the transliteration).