• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC won't answer, please help: How much does NGC charge VarietyPlus if it is determined there is no VAM on the coin?
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Sorry, I'm just posting all over because no one in the "Ask NGC/NCS" forum is answering.  I was hoping one of the veteran users in this forum would know.  Do you happen to know the answer to this?

On 9/10/2023 at 7:38 AM, ldhair said:

I believe NGC will still charge for the grading but wait for NGC to reply. They will probably not see your post till Monday. 

That makes sense!  Why did I think they would be working over the weekend LOL.  I'll remove the duplicate posts as soon as I get their response.  But hopefully someone in the forum has had this exact experience and can answer before they do.

On 9/10/2023 at 7:47 AM, cpfirme3 said:

That makes sense!  Why did I think they would be working over the weekend LOL.  I'll remove the duplicate posts as soon as I get their response.  But hopefully someone in the forum has had this exact experience and can answer before they do.

If you asked for (and paid for) variety plus service on each coin you will get charged the $18 per coin regardless of what (or any) VAM is detected.   You are paying for the time that it takes for each coin to be reviewed and researched, that happens regardless of if there is a VAM or not.   So the answer is yes NGC will be keeping the $180 you paid.

Edited by Coinbuf

The description of the "VarietyPlus" service states that "[t]he VarietyPlus fee applies when requested regardless of whether NGC determines the coin to be a recognized variety." See NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Unless you want to waste money, you shouldn't request this service regarding your Morgan or Peace dollars unless you have determined that the coin is a recognized VAM variety that NGC will attribute, which I understand are mostly limited to the "Top 100" and the "Hot 50".  See United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) for a list of varieties (mostly with photos) that NGC will attribute. See www.vamworld.com for photos of all VAM varieties.

On 9/10/2023 at 8:19 AM, Sandon said:

The description of the "VarietyPlus" service states that "[t]he VarietyPlus fee applies when requested regardless of whether NGC determines the coin to be a recognized variety." See NGC Services and Fees | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Unless you want to waste money, you shouldn't request this service regarding your Morgan or Peace dollars unless you have determined that the coin is a recognized VAM variety that NGC will attribute, which I understand are mostly limited to the "Top 100" and the "Hot 50".  See United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) for a list of varieties (mostly with photos) that NGC will attribute. See www.vamworld.com for photos of all VAM varieties.

Very useful link, thank you!  

On 9/10/2023 at 7:54 AM, Coinbuf said:

If you asked for (and paid for) variety plus service on each coin you will get charged the $18 per coin regardless of what (or any) VAM is detected.   You are paying for the time that it takes for each coin to be reviewed and researched, that happens regardless of if there is a VAM or not.   So the answer is yes NGC will be keeping the $180 you paid.

This topic is resolved!  Thank you.

Yup, you are NOT paying for your coin to BE a recognized variety; you are paying to have the experts CHECK YOUR SUPPOSED VARIETY to see if it is. The trick? They don’t support or recognize a large number of varieties. And they SHOULD not, either. Why not? Because some varieties are bogus, regardless of who says they are legit. These are not black and white decisions. They are of highly opinionated origin.