• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1927 Wheat Penny Error

36 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2023 at 11:18 AM, RWB said:

Yep. It's the old "right brain-left brain-no common sense" dilemma.

I had a bleed in my left brain in 2009. Lost my ability to speak for a while, but I never lost verbal comprehension. Watching medical staff assume otherwise was kind of funny. I lost 9 days of work at the state Capitol. Then single and half days off and on for a while for therapies. Now, 14 years later, those aphasia symptoms are occasionally sneaking back. It’s scary. I force myself to speak publicly, such as my ANA Summer Seminar talk. Practice, practice, practice. I’m nowhere near as glib as I used to be, and I “Jimmy Stewart” stammer a bit sometimes, but I have things to say, so I do.

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/1/2023 at 2:46 PM, EagleRJO said:

... there is no shot at a RPD with that date, and the "3" would be the wrong size and shape ... you can check out a 1937 cent on NGC Coin Explorer to verify the numbers wouldn't match

@Buy A. Coin Something like the attached side-by-side comparison with numerals from a 1927 and 1937 1C and transparent overlay with a "3" to verify that the damaged "2" on your 1927 1C is the wrong size and shape to be a "3".  It is pretty simple to do with certified examples from NGC or PCG$ and free apps like IrfanView and Paint.  On the overlay note where the middle of the "3" and notch at the back are.

With some experience, and doing enough side-by-side comparisons and overlays like I did, you should be able to see the differences without even doing transparent overlays or side-by-side comparisons.  I don't save them like I did for this post as an example, I just use the apps to look and then close them out.

Did you submit the coin to PCG$ thinking it was an "error" with the date and you were surprised by what you got back?

IMG-0806(1).jpg

1927 1C 2 Compare.jpg

1927 1C Forum PCGS Cert Date 3 Overlay.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/1/2023 at 2:59 PM, VKurtB said:

... treatable with conservation chemicals ... like extra virgin olive oil

I don't mess around with anything other than acetone which is chemically inert.  Isn't olive oil somewhat "acidic"?

[Actually I really should say acetone is chemically "neutral" since it will remove things like fingerprints and organics, but is not an acid or base that will attack the coin]

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, EagleRJO said:

I don't mess around with anything other than acetone which is chemically inert.  Isn't olive oil somewhat "acidic"?

Lightly so. So are silver coin dips, but some NON-COMMERCIAL dips are far less so. I have submitted several dozen “dipped” silver coins, most of them proofs, and ALL OF THEM have straight graded at NGC. Most are still Cameos. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 9/3/2023 at 4:19 PM, EagleRJO said:

I mess around, experimentally, with EVERY chemical you could ever imagine. My notebook is voluminous.