• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Setting up a Mint and a New Coinage System: US Mint Advice to the Koreans

20 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2023 at 11:22 AM, RWB said:

Thanks for a very interesting letter. Where was it located at NARA?

It was where YOU told me it was located, RWB!  Ha...

NARA-CP, RG104, Entry 328-F, Box 10, Korea Mint- Establishment of New Coinage System and Coinage

Letter dated February 21, 1958 to Lee Chan-sup, Assist. Representative of the Bank of Korea, New York from Leland Howard Assistant Director of the Mint

Edited by mlovmo

Talk about contributing to the "body of knowledge," this letter, some 65 years old, is a fascinating find.

I believe it safe to say, anyone inclined to read it in its entirety will be amply rewarded learning something he never knew -- or gave much thought to -- before.

Thanks for sharing this bit of vintage, Mint-related correspondence with the membership.

On 8/20/2023 at 3:16 PM, mlovmo said:

It was where YOU told me it was located, RWB!  Ha...

NARA-CP, RG104, Entry 328-F, Box 10, Korea Mint- Establishment of New Coinage System and Coinage

Letter dated February 21, 1958 to Lee Chan-sup, Assist. Representative of the Bank of Korea, New York from Leland Howard Assistant Director of the Mint

:)Glad you found it! Much of the time, I never learn if the suggestion I made was actually helpful. I presume you went to NARA College Park. What was your experience like?

PS: It's a good habit to include the location information with a post or printed publication. It helps readers to be aware of the historical links.

FYI - There is an immense untapped resource for world coinage and related matters in NARA at College Park, Maryland. Recently, I helped a researcher in another country find hard data that answered several questions about US contract coinage for his country...long-term arguments were conclusively settled. IN another instance the authenticity of an art work was confirmed by a US Mint letter that specifically referenced the item, creator, etc. The mystery and confusion of Saudi gold was, likewise, dispelled and is now aiding identification of varieties of these pieces. Yet another instance involved identifying the planchets source for late WW-II coinage of Belgium (I think it was Belgium). There are other examples.

It takes some "digging" to go through all the thick files of letters, but there rewards among the masses of unpublished material.

Edited by RWB

On 8/20/2023 at 8:36 PM, mlovmo said:

I did not travel to Maryland.  Just using simple email, I hired a researcher who just found and photocopied the entire box for me.

So, the experience from my living room couch was amazing(!)

Great! Would it be possible for me to get a copy of your photocopies? I will add them to my database.

Edited by RWB

On 8/20/2023 at 8:36 PM, mlovmo said:

I did not travel to Maryland.  Just using simple email, I hired a researcher who just found and photocopied the entire box for me.

How did you find a "researcher" and how much did that run you ?

On 8/20/2023 at 8:43 PM, mlovmo said:

Of this letter only, or the whole box?   Either way, yes!  Do you have a "WeTransfer" account?   (wetransfer.com)

The box had three folders, and they're big files, of course.

The letter I can send via email.  mlovmo@hotmail.com

The whole box would be great!

I have a Dropbox account. I can set up a folder. When you get an email from Dripbox, just copy the whole thing. I'll download it, and let you know I received it.

Folder ready.

Edited by RWB

On 8/20/2023 at 9:10 PM, mlovmo said:

I'll contact the researcher I used.  That'd be easiest.  I'll ask her if she wants another job.  You have to be serious, though.

Probably informational right now.  But would definitely have interest down the line.

On 8/20/2023 at 5:35 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Talk about contributing to the "body of knowledge," this letter, some 65 years old, is a fascinating find.

I believe it safe to say, anyone inclined to read it in its entirety will be amply rewarded learning something he never knew -- or gave much thought to -- before.

Thanks for sharing this bit of vintage, Mint-related correspondence with the membership.

Yes, it seems that Mr. Leland Howard here had "been around the block" a few times hearing the problems that other central banks/mint had with their coin problems (like coins becoming more valuable as recyclable metal than as currency).   The Koreans themselves would soon face this problem in the late 1960s.  They got on top of it, though.

I especially like his "truck vs. Cadillac" analogy when it comes to nations choosing the metal (base or precious) for their coins.  That was nice.  His advice was that silver was not a good coining metal because it was akin to a "Cadillac."   Of course, it's easy to detect the irony in this, since Mr. Howard was an official of a mint that was merrily striking millions of 90% silver coins as he gave out this sage advice(!)

The ancient Chinese understood this concept all too well.  They never made their round coins with the square holes in the middles out of precious metals.  Only base metals (well, up until they began trading with Westerners, that is).  The Chinese understood coins to be "money objects" whose real value was in the wealth that they created through their velocity in transaction.   Coins, as medium of exchange, created wealth.  Coins were not seen as a store of value.  If they made their coins out of precious metals, hoarding would have immobilized their money objects in circulation.  And then there would be NO CURRENCY! The ancient Chinese understood gold and silver as commodities susceptible to hoarding, so they didn't use them to make coins (since money was to "move," not hide under a mattress).  The role of "store of wealth" was left to gold, jade, bronze vessels, paintings and land.

I've been to coin shows where guys wave a silver coin in my face and say, "this here is REAL money!"   Well... I think it's only is money because humans assign value to it (much like a banknote).  You can't eat silver for food, you can't drink it as water, and you can't dig a furrow in it and grow plants or build shelter with it.  Just my opinion...

Edited by mlovmo

On 8/20/2023 at 9:19 PM, mlovmo said:

It is uploading now.  It will likely take an hour...

OK. Thanks!! How big is the file?

On 8/20/2023 at 9:27 PM, mlovmo said:

Not a file.  Files.  Five of them in the following sizes.  I'm not sure I can use dropbox to transfer them.  I don't have a paid account.  I only have WeTransfer.  This might not work, Roger.

57.1 MB

1.48 GB 

1.28 GB

1.27 GB

2.19 GB 

I have 2 TB capacity for files, so it should accept all you upload. You do not need an account. Sizes suggest she photographed everything. That requires patience -- everything is stacked in pin-binders in reverse chronological order. Just putting the stack back together and take 1/2-hr or more.

Edited by RWB

On 8/20/2023 at 9:37 PM, mlovmo said:

Oh, okay.  Well, this might take all night.

The Korea 1960 file appeared and took 2 min to download on this end. I've deleted it from Dropbox. File was checked and is complete in PDF format.

Korea establishment new coinage system. 1:30 download. Check and complete.

Edited by RWB

On 8/20/2023 at 10:01 PM, mlovmo said:

Oh good!  Faster than I thought.

What will you do with them?  I'm using them now to write either an article or a book, depending on length and what I can get out of them...

I will add headers showing the NARA location and add them to my database for future reference. I occasionally help NARA answer questions, so this is just another source of document-level material. Also, whenever you give the OK, I can add them to the Newman Numismatic Portal; however, in respecting your personal investment and research plans, I will not give documents to anyone. Rather, I will refer potential; users to the NARA source so they can do as you did. This is not usual in that an author is not expected to pay for research then give it away.

New Coinage System-2 downloaded. Checked and complete.

New Coinage System-3 downloaded. Checked and complete.

Edited by RWB

On 8/20/2023 at 10:27 PM, mlovmo said:

Roger, please downlaod that last one.  Dropbox is telling me I cannot send the last one because I don't have enough room.

Part 3 was deleted. Waiting for the last one. Don't know why you got that message. Sample page sent to you.

Proof coins downloaded and checked. Download was 1.2 seconds.

Edited by RWB

On 8/20/2023 at 10:33 PM, mlovmo said:

Okay done!   Please keep them to yourself.  I will likely allow NNP submission at a later time.  I've sunk a lot of money into researching this, and other topics at the national archives.  I guess it's all "sunk cost" at this point anyway...

I will. You've made a considerable investment in obtaining the copies, so they will not go to anyone without your written approval. While the originals are public domain, the copies were made for hire for your personal use so they are private research materials.