• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1994 D Lincoln penny error?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

This is a 1994 D Lincoln penny that has not been plated from the mint I believe, the one real thing that has me bothered is it is bigger around than a regular 1994D penny and is thicker and thinner around the coin. Also has a rolled over edge on both sides so you will see a picture attached of it fully in my micrometer and then in the skinnier tip of jaws of my micrometer for that reason.Honestly just wanted everybody opinion if it’s something or nothing, once again still trying to learn thanks in advance everyone. 

IMG_3105.jpeg

IMG_3106.jpeg

IMG_3091.jpeg

IMG_3093.jpeg

That is what is called a “Texas cent”. 
It has been intentionally hammered between two pieces of leather. As the zinc core expands, the copper plating falls off and leaves you with an oversized zinc cent. Not uncommon and only has value as a novelty item.

Yep an "Everything's Bigger In Texas" cent.   I have read that some people have attempted this to try and trick a vending machine into accepting it as a nickel, doesn't work.