• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any possible guess on grades for these? Thanks in advance
2 2

6 posts in this topic

Based on the photos, both of these 1916 "Mercury" dimes should grade in the AU 58 to MS 62 range by current grading service standards. (I would grade both AU by the standards I learned years ago.)  Neither coin has "full split bands" although the second coin shown is very close.  

Edited by Sandon

From your photos possibly AU58 to low MS, however, both coins appear to have hairlines so there is a possibility both might be deemed cleaned.   From a value standpoint there is not much point it submitting either coin.   I have included a screenshot of both the nonFB and FB coins from the NGC explorer, as you can see there is very little difference in price at this grade range between a FB coin and one that is not.   Also, this date is not an expensive coin, at least not until you reach the gem plus grades; because as a first year of issue it was horded by collectors.   Because it was horded there are many mint state examples to be found.   This is a nice collector coin for an album, just in this condition not one that is a good candidate for submitting to a TPG.

image.thumb.png.c27cd9d85e8c5154d5ccd105e1342b3e.png

image.thumb.png.8050b90233017de9dfb620280be358e4.png

Edited by Coinbuf

Request for clarification...

Straddling a grading tier is waffling.  What enquiring minds want to know is, is there a suggestion here of evidence of "wear," or a "weak strike"? Surely enough of these antiquities have undergone enough scrutiny over the years to exclude one, or the other.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Correct typo.

Photo viewed grade MS62. Firm. Both coins show weak strike. Wear is not apparent. Original surfaces. Marks. Luster breaks and impaired overall luster. Coin 2 might just get MS62 FSB it's very close. IMO

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 8/12/2023 at 10:30 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

Photo viewed grade MS62. Firm. Both coins show weak strike. Wear is not apparent. Original surfaces....

(Well now, looks like I get to keep the "Rising Star" status our hosts so graciously bestowed upon me, after all.  Very lovely coins!)