• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is special about this Jefferson Nickel? Do you know? Is it even special? Is it a mint error? Not mint error? Give you best assessment based on photos.
2 2

4 posts in this topic

Let's see now... dozens of views, but not a single solitary comment?  Why?  And what's with the stenciled overlay... the one that faintly reads...

R-A-D-I-O-A-C-T-I-V-E !  KEEP BACK 200 FEET!

Welcome back to the Forum and the wonderful mystical world of Moderation!

I don't think there is anything special about it.  It may be what some people call a "Black Beauty" that was the result of an unusually dark color to the alloy.  I don't see anything that could be called a mint error.  Ignore the odd appearance of the "rims", this is in a PCGS unsert of the soft silicone variety that often wraps over and hides the rims of the coin. The overwrap can make it look like damage of cudding on the "rims".

On 8/8/2023 at 8:10 PM, Conder101 said:

I don't think there is anything special about it.  It may be what some people call a "Black Beauty" that was the result of an unusually dark color to the alloy.  I don't see anything that could be called a mint error.  Ignore the odd appearance of the "rims", this is in a PCGS unsert of the soft silicone variety that often wraps over and hides the rims of the coin. The overwrap can make it look like damage of cudding on the "rims".

Thanks for your assessment.. I will wait until a few more people attempt this quiz before I reveal the answer. This coin is graded and encapsulated by ANACS.

Edited by Mike Meenderink