• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2017Z China 1oz Panda - Moon Festival MINT ERROR Silver Value and rarity help
2 2

12 posts in this topic

Welcome to the form, cool coin/medal. Which is it?

The use of the term double struck seems odd to me for this piece. Being a proof, I'm assuming that it was struck more than once and since the doubling seems to only be on the one side I would have though the term rotated die would be more accurate. Hard to say for sure if there is any sign of doubling on the rev, if there is it's very minor. Regardless the doubling is very pronounced on the one side and it is a very neat piece.

It is indeed a medal. They release them every year. This one has a mintage of 10,000 and you can find them for $140 easily. It is bizarre that NGC would not properly asses the coin's error, however, I would agree, the Reverse of the coin compared with another example shows no doubling. Another Issue I have with it is it does not have a numerical grade assigned. For value purposes, should I have it regraded? Thanks!

On 8/6/2023 at 9:31 AM, Dave HH said:

It is indeed a medal. They release them every year. This one has a mintage of 10,000 and you can find them for $140 easily. It is bizarre that NGC would not properly asses the coin's error, however, I would agree, the Reverse of the coin compared with another example shows no doubling. Another Issue I have with it is it does not have a numerical grade assigned. For value purposes, should I have it regraded? Thanks!

I'm not sure why a numerical grade wasn't assigned, I have to assume that it was due to how the submitter requested the medal be graded. I don't know enough about these to comment on whether or not you should resubmit to receive a numerical grade, technically it is numerically graded to within a range, or if it would be financially worth it.  Personally, I would prefer a coin with a numerical grade as opposed to an adjectival grade. 

On 8/6/2023 at 9:31 AM, Dave HH said:

It is bizarre that NGC would not properly asses the coin's error, however, I would agree, the Reverse of the coin compared with another example shows no doubling.

NGC is probably using the correct terminology and I'm mistaken, just a question I had as to how they attributed it and how it was produced. Still seems odd to me, I'll have to do a little reading up on the subject later. 

[I hope your problem is resolved to your satisfaction.

As for me, I got a big kick out of your choice of words... "rarest modern Chinese error coin in existence."

I do hope the gentleman who stated I had no inkling of what certifications, censuses, and populations represent, views this.  It will make his day and mine.  🤣

On 8/6/2023 at 1:15 PM, Henri Charriere said:

"rarest modern Chinese error coin in existence."

What are the rarest Chinese coins in nonexistence? How many are slabbed?

On 8/6/2023 at 2:37 PM, RWB said:

What are the rarest Chinese coins in nonexistence? How many are slabbed?

...coin period...zero....

On 8/6/2023 at 7:01 PM, Dave HH said:

1 of 1, Heritage, Spink, Ebay, and Stack Bowers Have NONE...

Since you say, well there are so many PROVE IT

Who said that there were "so many"? It just have been deleted, because I don't see that posted here by anyone.

Fentucky Mike, thank you for your knowledge! To all others, I can't Imagine yourselves acting like this at the ANA convention, or to any novice collector.  Young collectors are the legacy of the hobby. Henri may as well be a beanie-baby collector. rantrant