• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gold Eagle Coins
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I think the US mint really screwed up the design of the reverse for the $50 gold eagle coin in 2022, which is really a shame.  I thought the gold eagle coins thru 2021 were done very well, and I have a few which are absolutely stunning in-hand.  Now, you might as well just buy Krugerrands or Valcambi bars.

It seems like a lot of things the mint has been doing since they went woke in 2022 are going downhill, including the gold eagle design and quality of the silver eagles.  Does anyone know if there are any plans to re-design the $50 gold eagle coin, particularly the reverse?

2023-1-oz-american-gold-eagle-bu_258636_slab.jpg

2021-1-oz-american-gold-eagle-coin-bu-type-1_218622_slab.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/5/2023 at 4:02 AM, EagleRJO said:

went woke in 2022

What does the word "woke" mean?

It started in politics and now has a ton of different meanings making it basically worthless to use as a term, but in its most basic it means "socially aware".

On 8/5/2023 at 2:50 PM, powermad5000 said:

It started in politics and now has a ton of different meanings making it basically worthless to use as a term, but in its most basic it means "socially aware".

Thank you. I recall someone on TV trying to explain it - they failed. What does this have to do with coins? Are there coins with people sleeping on them -- like the Rip van Winkle commemorative - and this was when Rip woke up from his long snooze?

As I said, once people latched on to the term, they started to use it in every public discussion to describe a trend. Everything from politics to cars to coins to fashion to corporate policy. To me it is now a worthless term.

On 8/5/2023 at 9:44 PM, EagleRJO said:

Where racial and social justice become the most important thing over everything else, including the quality of things.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/woke

Thanks. Hmmmm....sounds like a term referring to bias of some sort. A catchword or emotional trigger. Don't understand its meaning in the OPs first comments, but not of any real importance.