• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

MS-70 Circulation strike
1 1

47 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2023 at 3:39 PM, VKurtB said:

Finest known and finest possible are two different things. Finest known is a laudable goal. Seeking the finest possible (every coin a top pop) strikes me as obsessive. 

...finest known is obtainable if u r addressing certified coins, perhaps better to refer them as finest certified (yet)...finest possible?...who knows since no one knows absolutely whats still out there...in the cases of absolutely rarities, 5 or less known, sure u can rank them until one comes out of the proverbial woodwork....

On 8/31/2023 at 3:36 PM, VKurtB said:

All that means one thing - the French grading system lacks sufficient specificity for the American marketplace. Having one grade encompass 65-70 is pretty difficult to defend.

It's not just the French, with their FDC (Fleur De Coin)

Ditto the English: UNC;

Ditto the Germans: ST (stempelglanz);

Ditto the Italians: FDC (Fior di Conio); and

Ditto the Spanish: SC (Sin Circular)...

ALL the USA equivalent of from MS-65 to MS-70.

On 8/31/2023 at 5:04 PM, Henri Charriere said:

It's not just the French, with their FDC (Fleur De Coin)

Ditto the English: UNC;

Ditto the Germans: ST (stempelglanz);

Ditto the Italians: FDC (Fior di Conio); and

Ditto the Spanish: SC (Sin Circular)...

ALL the USA equivalent of from MS-65 to MS-70.

Somebody is insane - not saying who.

Finest known and finest possible are two different things. Finest known is a laudable goal. Seeking the finest possible (every coin a top pop) strikes me as obsessive. 

Obsessive, and unrealistic, particularly above MS-64 where the pickings in Originals are slim, or non-existent.  My set in Orange County is graded 65.906.  The current finest possible set rating is 67.219. I would like to acquire just one more coin to put me in 66.000 territory. I am the current and all-time finest. But all that can change in an eyeblink. If a D.L. Hansen-type were to express an interest in the series, I would become a dead man walking... a nobody without my roosters. The deadline for upgrades was in June. By morning, I should get my 4th gold bar. [There is a special bar for the 5-year mark and another for those who maintain their standing 10 years straight.]

On 8/31/2023 at 6:30 PM, zadok said:

...not required....

In my defense, insanity is a legal term not recognized by the medical profession. I prefer the term eccentric. 🤣  Our hosts are very fortunate to have both you and vkb as members. 

On 8/31/2023 at 6:43 PM, Henri Charriere said:

In my defense, insanity is a legal term not recognized by the medical profession. I prefer the term eccentric. 🤣  Our hosts are very fortunate to have both you and vkb as members. 

...eccentric is a medical term....

On 8/31/2023 at 6:49 PM, zadok said:

...eccentric is a medical term....

If it is recognized by the DSM-5, as revised, then it is. Otherwise, you're called crazy.  🤣

On 8/31/2023 at 6:55 PM, Henri Charriere said:

If it is recognized by the DSM-5, as revised, then it is. Otherwise, you're called crazy.  🤣

...if the foot fits the moccasin....

On 8/31/2023 at 7:18 PM, zadok said:

...if the foot fits the moccasin....

Humor aside, consider the following: the preponderance of the material I produce, NEVER sees the light of day; unassailable fact: my posts are monitored continually and if the Mods are busy, my contribution is parked on a spur until review is possible. They can be integrated with the content stream only if I make a note to go back, locate them, and manually release them.. Sometimes they are "disappeared." And the  ultimate ultimatum: guidelines being only guidelines, I have been informed by our hosts that I am subject to banishment without Warnings, suspensions, time-outs, points, etc. You may see me now and suddenly you very well may not. Crazy? Not at all. QA is a historical artifact. These are enhanced special administrative measures I accept and have no quarrel with. This is simply a good-faith attempt at moderation. :preach:

Posted (edited)

This dated comment deserves a reevaluation and update.  In the Gold Rooster series, two dates, both older "originals." have never been certified above MS-64.  The number of MS-65s and MS-66s can be counted on one hand. ALL ARE TOP POPS. At least tentatively until zadok & Co. unseal their reserves.  🤣

Several "restrike" dates have been certified MS-67+ -- and two, initially certified at MS-68 at P---, are now listed on the NGC census.

I abandoned the + graded coins to avoid the drudgery of [inevitable] ungrading. It was a futile gesture.  Then, reports leaked in abroad suggesting certified coins would continue to be sold, but new material would remain raw and graded using scales developed. adopted and used locally.

For the French 20-francs gold rooster collectors, as a practical matter, this would mean -- barring personal, in-hand examination, one would have to acquire a coin from France adjudged to be embraced by the "la creme de la creme" line which falls with the FDC designated range, MS65 to MS-70.

I did not elect to retire; that momentous decision was made for me. Tomorrow, a whale cruising in the shoals off Sarasota can gobble me up, Rising Star Henri Charriere, serving at the pleasure of NGC's top management, and I shall be relegated to but an unconfirmed rumor in the annals of TPGS history...

Edited by Henri Charriere
Superfluous die polishing.

On 4/24/2024 at 9:59 PM, Henri Charriere said:

This dated comment deserves a reevaluation and update.  In the Gold Rooster series, two dates, both older "originals." have never been certified above MS-64.  The number of MS-65s and MS-66s can be counted on one hand. ALL ARE TOP POPS. At least tentatively until zadok & Co. unseal their reserves.  🤣

Several "restrike" dates have been certified MS-67+ -- and two, initially certified at MS-68 at P---, are now listed on the NGC census.

I abandoned the + graded coins to avoid the drudgery of [inevitable] ungrading. It was a futile gesture.  Then, reports leaked in abroad suggesting certified coins would continue to be sold, but new material would remain raw and graded using scales developed. adopted and used locally.

For the French 20-francs gold rooster collectors, as a practical matter, this would mean -- barring personal, in-hand examination, one would have to acquire a coin from France adjudged to be embraced by the "la creme de la creme" line which falls with the FDC designated range, MS65 to MS-70.

I did not elect to retire; that momentous decision was made for me. Tomorrow, a whale cruising in the shoals off Sarasota can gobble me up, Rising Star Henri Charriere, serving at the pleasure of NGC's top management, and I shall be relegated to but an unconfirmed rumor in the annals of TPGS history...

...to summarize:...nothing new, same old :sick: ...also, no relegation, bar is much higher....

Edited by zadok

On 4/24/2024 at 8:59 PM, Henri Charriere said:

Have you escaped the profound idiocy happening at Columbia University?

On 4/25/2024 at 12:58 PM, VKurtB said:

...escaped is an accurate description, but even columbia has entrance level standards....

On 4/25/2024 at 12:58 PM, VKurtB said:

:signofftopic:

On 4/25/2024 at 1:52 PM, zadok said:

...escaped is an accurate description, but even columbia has entrance level standards....

Both question and answer are   :signofftopic:

On 4/25/2024 at 1:52 PM, zadok said:

Er....I'm not so sure about that. :o