• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My ANA Exhibit Judging Assignments Are In

9 posts in this topic

At the Pittsburgh World’s Fair of Money, I will be working the Dealer Registration Table from “Oh dark thirty” next Monday (actually 6:30 AM EDT) (which is 5:30 AM Bellman’s decrepit ol’ body time) through to when Dealer Reg closes on Thursday. Stop by and say “Hey”. My wife told me I had to spell it that way. 

In addition to those duties, I am the Chief Exhibit Judge (panel of 3) in Class 1 - United States Coins (excluding gold), and Class 20 - United States Commemorative Coinage. As a fun adjunct, I am one of FIVE judges deciding the Best First Time Exhibitor Award. That MAY NOT BE NEEDED if a clear winner emerges from the regular Best in Show judging who is a first timer. It has happened several times in the past. I am NOT the Chief Judge for that’n, but one of the Associate Judges. 

I arrive in the ‘burgh early Sunday evening, and will be ALABAMY BOUND the following Sunday morning.

Monday evening - behind home plate Pirates vs. Braves tickets.

Tuesday evening - Pennsylvania Association of Numismatists dinner at LeMont Restaurant, AFTER participating in the NGC’s grading contest at 5PM.

Wednesday evening - Dinner with the great Carl Waltz of Millersville, PA, THE Mac Daddy of Matte Proof Lincolns and Matte Proof Buffaloes

Thursday evening - open, for now. Will fill up.

Friday evening - ANA Banquet & Silent Auction at the Westin Ballroom

In between - Board of Governors meetings, Exhibit Committee meetings, Outreach Committee meeting, Heath Society Breakfast for Donors, and whatever else comes up. This is a handover of leadership convention and many committee chairmanship and membership slots CAN and WILL change. I am up for CONSIDERATION as the ANA Parliamentarian. I have the experience for it. The incumbent has unfortunately died. 

I MIGHT get to a bourse table or two, but it’s not looking likely. 

Edited by VKurtB

Must get hot in those long black robes.... Are the gavels used to knock holes in glass cases to get a better view of the coins?

:)

On 8/3/2023 at 6:57 PM, zadok said:

...looks more like a quilt...kudos....

Well I am Straight Outta Compton, nope, Pennsylvania Deutsch Country. 

On 8/3/2023 at 7:00 PM, RWB said:

Must get hot in those long black robes.... Are the gavels used to knock holes in glass cases to get a better view of the coins?

I almost toppled the case one year that held the ANA’s 1804 dollar and 1913 Libnick. They only had one then. I think that was 2013. 

On 8/3/2023 at 7:00 PM, RWB said:

No robes, just redonkulous clipboards. We look like plain clothed backup QB’s. 

To paraphrase [Pvt.] Stockdale (a young Andy Griffin) in No Time for Sergeants (1958): "You're the best dang coin man in the whole dang coin show!"  🤣

Edited by Henri Charriere
Missing word

On 8/3/2023 at 8:29 PM, Henri Charriere said:

To paraphrase [Pvt.] Stockdale (a young Andy Griffin) in No time for Sergeants (1958): "You're the best coin man in the whole dang coin show!"  🤣

@RWB and I have something in common. He writes about coins he doesn’t own, and probably never has. And he writes well; better than many contemporaries. I judge competitive exhibits often containing superior coins to any I’ll ever own, and sometimes telling a story with which I am unfamiliar. But I know what superior material telling a story that makes sense looks like. At Phoenix this March, I judged an exhibit containing specialty material I’d never seen with mine own eyes before. They were medieval Central European single-sided (other side incuse versions of the first) pieces. I did some quick library research just to be certain I wasn’t being buffaloed. (A considerable numismatic library is on site, and I checked his Bibliography.) I gave it the best Class judging score I had ever given. It made me nervous to do it. Turns out it was a runaway winner for Best in Show, which was judged by folks with more experience than mine. I seldom get to see an exhibit that compelling. There are some INCREDIBLE exhibitors out there who handle some awesome material. In some classes, having a huge budget helps, but the scoring system is designed to hammer level that in Best in Show. Once, one guy won Runner-Up in Best in Show with road rash coins. Not because they were errors, they’re not, but because he so compellingly documented where and how each was found both “in situ” and after plucking them out. He even demonstrated how different metals survived road time better than others. He had a whole case of vastly different damaged Zincolns. It was before I became a judge, but I read the scoring sheets as part of my training. 

Edited by VKurtB