• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ancient Rome Coin
2 2

9 posts in this topic

Had This For a Few Years

Any Idea on Year/Rarity

or Exactly what the current market value is?

-this will be interesting watching the responses because they’re must be a knowledgeable IV out there somewhere-

I await your responses/replys

Thanks Again!! 

8F8C2D46-11CF-459E-9A0E-0694C8E357CB.jpeg

DE64A9D5-10F8-47FB-9AF7-EAD6F75AEE7B.jpeg

It resembles a coin of The Netherlands. According to several different sources, the inscription,  MO ORDI PROVIN FOEDER BELG AD LEG IMP (MONETA ORDINUM PROVINCIARUM FOEDERATORUM BELGII AD LEGEM IMPERII) translates "regular coin of the provinces of the Belgium Confederation (or United Netherlands) by imperial decree."

The only coins I have found with this combination of legend and the standing knight are 1 and 2 ducat gold coins. Yours does not appear to be gold, so I can't say what it is actually supposed to be.

Bob's definitely on to something. I'm going to guess that it's a coin of one of the Dutch provinces, so I'll let you do the shoveling. If you'd provided weight and diameter, I might have dug, but without that information it's pointless.

As the previous replies suggest, this isn't an ancient Roman coin. It is likely a coin struck for what is now Belgium from the sixteenth or seventeenth centuries. (It isn't in my eighteenth-century edition of the Standard Catalog of World Coins.) It is only "Roman" in the sense that this territory was then part of the "Holy Roman Empire", a usually loose confederation of European states that existed from the time of Charlemagne (early ninth century) until the Napoleonic era. The only coins I've been able to come up with that bear this inscription are gold ducats from that period.  This is apparently a lower denomination silver coin. Hopefully, a forum participant will have a reference from which it can be identified. 

If I could, I would ask, From whom did you acquire this coin and/or under what circumstances?  [ I am going to hold the "why," in abeyance.]

8F8C2D46-11CF-459E-9A0E-0694C8E357CB.jpeg.4d334285a.jpg.88952687886efd1610f6c3afcab72d6d.jpg8F8C2D46-11CF-459E-9A0E-0694C8E357CB.jpeg.4d334285a7da32c4db8126e9eba3db3c.jpg.51501433741f50baff8d00c20078d895.jpg

Added below:  Westfriesland. Gold Ducat 1611 (Heritage Signature Sale #0363; Lot #22952).

1611compsm.thumb.jpg.55a3252f956ba025b511ecbf1ea73c97.jpg

Edited by RWB

Suspect a crude counterfeit in tin or silver that was gold plated. The roughly cut outline, bungled inscriptions, and light weight (3.5 g nominal, 0.986 fine) are likely pointers. Drilled hole in another - holes in gold coins were usually punched to preserve the gold content (gold coin circulated by weight and fineness not by legal value).

Inscription on real 1611 ducat ----

Reverse Legend In Tablet: MO ORDI / ROVIN / FOE DER / BELG AD / LEG IMP

Obverse Legend from 12 o'clock reading right: CONCORDIA RES // PAR - VAE - CRES(CVNT) WEST(F)

Edited by RWB

On 7/23/2023 at 9:51 PM, RWB said:

Suspect a crude counterfeit in tin or silver that was gold plated. The roughly cut outline, bungled inscriptions, and light weight (3.5 g nominal, 0.986 fine) are likely pointers. Drilled hole in another - holes in gold coins were usually punched to preserve the gold content (gold coin circulated by weight and fineness not by legal value).

Inscription on real 1611 ducat ----

Reverse Legend In Tablet: MO ORDI / ROVIN / FOE DER / BELG AD / LEG IMP

Obverse Legend from 12 o'clock reading right: CONCORDIA RES // PAR - VAE - CRES(CVNT) WEST(F)

…OH DE DOO DAH DAY.