• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 D Small Date Copper Penny
2 2

9 posts in this topic

They both are large date cents from the size and shape of the 8 and 2 as well as the distance to the rim at the 2.  See the attached infographic to help in the future.

1982-D Cents.jpg

On 7/16/2023 at 11:54 PM, EagleRJO said:

They both are large date cents from the size and shape of the 8 and 2 as well as the distance to the rim at the 2.  See the attached infographic to help in the future.

1982-D Cents.jpg

@EagleRJO. I've been interested in rare, mint planchet, error coins for several years. I try to do my due diligence instead of just asking. I thought I had the large and small date figured out, but I guess not..lol. The chart you provided actually adds the element of WE when determining, that I didn't know and is helpful. Thank you. I have other coins from years of gathering that I need to narrow down. So maybe next time

On 7/17/2023 at 3:35 AM, Kellym said:

So maybe next time

I would not get your hopes up, these are not going to be found in circulation.   The few that are known were most likely made by a moonlight mint employee and smuggled out of the mint.

On 7/17/2023 at 4:06 AM, Coins8890 said:

I am having trouble myself telling if either of these three are the small date

20230717_060242.jpg

Yes small date. but look at the damage to the rim and bottom of the bust, notice the silver color, that is the zinc showing.

Yesterday I got in change a fully red and BU 1983 cent that doesn't have the Zincoln "feel". It feels like a bronze cent. What am I going to do with it? I'm gonna put it in a flip and ignore it, until I dig out my Dansco album for that issue. It's likely nicer than the one I have in there. I DON'T DO TREASURE HUNTING THOUGHT PROCESSES!!!!