• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Colored or painted new coins
1 1

35 posts in this topic

On 7/16/2023 at 11:00 PM, powermad5000 said:

I am sure there is a market for the gimmicks because they sell and people are buying them. But what happens to the prices when 20 years have passed and the craze is over? Also, they are mass producing these things so it's not like it is a rarity

You bought up a good point … right now all this modern stuff is grading out 68, 69 and 70’s hot off the press as soon as it hit the market …. It’s doesn’t circulate ! What will market be in next 20 years ? Probably dead in that sector…. Me I would aim for lower mintage modern stuff it might appreciate in near future if I was heavily involved into collecting modern issues which I’m not… stick with mintages lower than 500 or 1,000 or perhaps 3,000 it might just keep buyers interested in future but who knows …. But I do see ASE a dead end collecting not really worth pouring a lot money into silver eagles hoping to gain back a lot unless silver shoot up in price … but I do see modern graded 1oz silver graded and Raw with low mintages as collectible piece it should be treated as a collectible coin despite its silver content … same as Morgan dollar it has silver ? Yes ? Can it be expensive ? Yes ? Can you get cheaper ? Sure a worn down Morgan dollar is only worth its melt on current market standards at the time 

I can’t see investing into ASE that been massed produced in large quantities when they grade out 69 or 70 … there’s just no play between grades like a circulated coin 

I love the colored/painted coins.  I have a couple of maple leafs that are totally colored over.  I am not sure if they will grade or not, but when there are only 500 of them out there, if they ever do get a grade, hopefully they will be appreciated someday.  I also added a titanium coin.  I guess i am in the Minority lol.

image.jpeg.a3da1b783bbd9c8298db74defb0942f2.jpegimage.jpeg.ac7415c4a7c28bc1c5b3f251281205d1.jpegimage.jpeg.bf2d119292780a4b55500baf44058677.jpeg

image.jpeg.9f9afc65dc27e027443316d6cdfab7cb.jpegimage.jpeg.c4df432480e8041d999521c9492d50cd.jpegimage.jpeg.0fe37e819ece7bab95bc75c74b9da361.jpeg

titanium dert.jpg

Does anybody have an example (doesn't have to be post-mint painted) of coins that were all the rage that then lost value?

BTW, as I stated earlier I only paid $40 for my AU 2012 dragon. And thanks folks, I did confirm that it was Perth mint and issued as a set of 10 including the unpainted silver proof. Haven't found out how many of these sets were produced yet?

Also, I guess a few were minted and painted that were 5oz like the US Mint National Park 5oz.

I’m not too familiar with US minted stuff or bullion being painted (colorized) not sure if any US coinage or bullion is colorized today I don’t think so I could be wrong ?

But most of the world bullion stuff is coming out colorized from their respective mints where they were produced and offered for sale standard colorized they are accepted by NGC/PCGS for grading …. It’s making a new market now a days

coins that were hot property and lost their value ? There’s tons and tons of US coins modern and classic that lost a lot of value over the years … take ASE for example TV dealers / big dealers order monster boxes of them every year ship them off to grading tons and tons of money been spilled over that MS70/PF70 ASE then market cools down in a few months after they been issued and graded… 

now for classic coinage take Commemorative half dollar series was very hot property in 1980’s guys were spending thousands of dollars on a single coin… by 1990’s most of the coins in series lost a lot value today you can buy them in MS65 and MS66 for couple hundred dollars … huge lost in money… the problem with the US mint stuff is it’s too popular and it’s also massed produced in large quantities nothing is really rare at all anymore why they call it a “rare coin market” ? I have no idea … doesn’t seem to rare to me … there’s some coins are rare but 95% of the stuff is not rare at all 

On 7/17/2023 at 11:50 AM, Roy Winters said:

I love the colored/painted coins.  I have a couple of maple leafs that are totally colored over.  I am not sure if they will grade or not, but when there are only 500 of them out there, if they ever do get a grade, hopefully they will be appreciated someday.  I also added a titanium coin.  I guess i am in the Minority lol.

image.jpeg.a3da1b783bbd9c8298db74defb0942f2.jpegimage.jpeg.ac7415c4a7c28bc1c5b3f251281205d1.jpegimage.jpeg.bf2d119292780a4b55500baf44058677.jpeg

image.jpeg.9f9afc65dc27e027443316d6cdfab7cb.jpegimage.jpeg.c4df432480e8041d999521c9492d50cd.jpegimage.jpeg.0fe37e819ece7bab95bc75c74b9da361.jpeg

titanium dert.jpg

They look cool something different to look at for a change… are they directly from the Mint they were issued from ? Were they colorized buy the Mint that produced them? If so NGC/PCGS will grade them ….

They won’t grade any colorized coin that was done by third party artist … you have be careful if you want some colorized coins graded some third party artist buy bullion coins then paint or colorized them (then supply the personal COA with their coin they painted to sell to public) this won’t pass satisfaction with NGC/PCGS during grading they consider those coins altered… it has to be done by the Mint directly and documented with the mint then and only then NGC will grade them … so check with the mint they came from and confirm they were offering these coins colorized