• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unknown mark/error on 1942 Mecury Dime

5 posts in this topic

Good evening all,

I was looking through a collection of coins that I was given. While sorting through the coins, I noticed on my 1942 Mercury dime that there was an upper case backwards "B" (at least it looks like it to me). It is located to the left of the "W".

Has anyone seen this before, and what could cause this?

Screenshot_20230707_205639_CoinSnap.jpg

Edited by Ronnie1776
Clarification

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

If you are referring to the series of tooth-mark like depressions to the left of the designer's initials (a "W over A" monogram for Adolph Weinman), this is almost certainly damage from the coin receiving blows from some hard object, possibly the edge of a larger coin as suggested by @Coinbuf, after it left the mint. As a damaged, circulated common date "Mercury" dime, it is only worth its silver value.

I see several hits or gouges in the obverse of the OP's Merc. Most certainly post mint damage and most definitely not an error. I also see some damage to the rim on the reverse photo.